All Tennis, All the Time
Pandemic-affected, attached is a link to the WTA schedule for the months of January and February. Not much....There are only 2 events scheduled for January (2 500ks): Abu Dhabi begins on the 6th and ends on the 13th; then, there's a 2 week gap ere a 500k event in Melbourne begins on the 31st for a week. This is as opposed to the events that occurred in January of 2020 where there were 6 events, 7 if one includes a 125k at Newport Beach on the 27th.
For February, the AO begins on the 8th and a 250k event begins in Melbourne on the 13th (I guess it's for those players who get bounced in the lst week of the AO, or those lower ranked players who didn't emerge from qualies). Unlike 2020, there is no DuBai, Doha, St. Petersburg and Acapulco for 2021. However, Dubai and Doha (unconfirmed rumor) may occur in March, where there is no IW for the year.
My assumption is that the top players will skip the Abu Dhabi event and play the 500k event in Melbourne as prep for the Slam. After the Slam, the schedule is unknown for now.
Entry List for Abu Dhabi:
Main draw Entry liste:
1. KENIN, SOFIA (USA) 4
2. SVITOLINA, ELINA (UKR) 5
3. PLISKOVA, KAROLINA (CZE) 6
4. SABALENKA, ARYNA (BLR) 10
5. BENCIC, BELINDA (SUI) 12
6. MUGURUZA, GARBIÑE (ESP) 15
7. RYBAKINA, ELENA (KAZ) 19
8. MERTENS, ELISE (BEL) 20
9. VONDROUSOVA, MARKETA (CZE) 21
10. SAKKARI, MARIA (GRE) 22
11. KONTAVEIT, ANETT (EST) 23
12. BRADY, JENNIFER (USA) 24
13. MUCHOVA, KAROLINA (CZE) 27
14. PUTINTSEVA, YULIA (KAZ) 28
15. ANISIMOVA, AMANDA (USA) 30
16. JABEUR, ONS (TUN) 31
17. VEKIC, DONNA (CRO) 32
18. ALEXANDROVA, EKATERINA (RUS) 33
19. WANG, QIANG (CHN) 34
20. KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA (RUS) 36
21. PAVLYUCHENKOVA, ANASTASIA (RUS) 38
22. ZHENG, SAISAI (CHN) 41
23. FERRO, FIONA (FRA) 42
24. GARCIA, CAROLINE (FRA) 43
25. OSTAPENKO, JELENA (LAT) 44
26. COLLINS, DANIELLE (USA) 45
27. KUDERMETOVA, VERONIKA (RUS) 46
28. PODOROSKA, NADIA (ARG) 47
29. SHVEDOVA, YAROSLAVA (KAZ) 47 SR
30. GAUFF, CORI (USA) 48
31. HERCOG, POLONA (SLO) 49
32. MLADENOVIC, KRISTINA (FRA) 50
33. SIEGEMUND, LAURA (GER) 51
34. CORNET, ALIZÉ (FRA) 53
35. SEVASTOVA, ANASTASIJA (LAT) 54
36. TIG, PATRICIA MARIA (ROU) 56
37. WATSON, HEATHER (GBR) 58
38. SINIAKOVA, KATERINA (CZE) 59
39. BLINKOVA, ANNA (RUS) 61
40. PERA, BERNARDA (USA) 62
41. PEGULA, JESSICA (USA) 63
42. VAN UYTVANCK, ALISON (BEL) 64
43. KREJCIKOVA, BARBORA (CZE) 65
44. SORRIBES TORMO, SARA (ESP) 66
45. HSIEH, SU-WEI (TPE) 67
46. TOMLJANOVIC, AJLA (AUS) 68
47. BADOSA, PAULA (ESP) 70
48. CIRSTEA, SORANA (ROU) 71
49. KASATKINA, DARIA (RUS) 72
50. RUS, ARANTXA (NED) 74
51. ZHU, LIN (CHN) 74 SR
Of note for me: Yaro Shvedova "is back". Yet, after injuries, surgery and subsequent childbirth, returned to the Tour (doubles) this past February. She's 33 years of age....
I see that they introduced a WTA250, WTA500,... system, following the ATP.
Well, the first event looks interesting. Good to see Belinda and Rybakina in the top seeds.
I am getting ready for a new season; the last year I was not really motivated to follow anymore as it was too chaotic. But now I am refreshed... and the rolling ranking is indeed a big mess...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"
"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"