Tournaments this week

Golden Slam?

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior
Golden Slam?

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Sun 11, 2021 4:39 pm

With three of the four legs of the grand slam underneath him Novak is setting himself up for a Steffi Graff type of year. He will be off to Tokyo (possibly) to compete in the summer games and he very well may win that as a lot of players I hear are pulling out due to the covid threat and the prospect of empty stadiums. So with the possibility of winning a gold medal in Tokyo Novak will then head to New York with an opportunity to win either the golden slam or the grand slam.

Seems that all of the stars may be aligning for Novak this year especially after clearing the most difficult hurdle in defeating Rafa in the best of 5 set match at Roland Garros and winning his second French Open title and setting himself up for the ultimate tennis achievement in New York. My guess is he certainly won't be aiming any tennis balls anywhere near any linespeople.
Last edited by Skilletsauce on Jul Sun 11, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: Golden Slam?

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sun 11, 2021 6:31 pm

Interesting to see Novak display some nerves that have besot Serena in her chase for #24.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Sun 11, 2021 7:00 pm

Everyone will be gunning for Novak in New York. The Open announced earlier they will be at full capacity for the year's final major so you can expect raucous crowds and a sold out men's final in anticipation of witnessing a very rare event in our sport.

There will be an electricity in the air as it was for Serena's run and I'm sure Novak will be feeling the pressure as he gets closer and closer to being in very select company.

The announcement of the men's draw at this year's Open will be watched with more interest than ever as fans, players, and commentators will dissect it and opine as to who might stop Novak. I'm sure the betting will be intense as well.

anishmitch
Senior
Senior

Post by anishmitch » Jul Sun 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Perfect timing for the US Open. Tickets go on sale on July 15th, tomorrow if you have an American Express card. It will be sold out in record time. Really enjoyed the match and he just finds a way to win.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 12, 2021 9:33 am

In a way, I think this will help Serena relax seeing she's among 4 players now actively chasing history.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Mon 12, 2021 9:35 am

I can just imagine the scalpers for the Open this year. It will be a feeding frenzy with full capacity and Novak trying to achieve the grand slam. They will be making out like bandits.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 12, 2021 10:08 am

Given the rankings, either Nadal or Djoko could play Roger in the 4th round.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 12, 2021 10:09 am

Serena now ranked 16th.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 12, 2021 10:21 am

"It’s not an easy time," Thiem said. "I have to wear the wrist splint for another two weeks, then I will have another MRI scan to get an update. The healing in my wrist is progressing and it is definitely going better than expected. Of course, I need to be patient and let everything heal completely."

"I somehow hope that I may be able to play the US Open. As defending champion, playing in New York would be a dream," Thiem said. "But still, I must not be disappointed in case it won’t work out."

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Fri 30, 2021 6:27 pm

My my my. There will be no golden slam or gold of any kind for Novak at this year's summer games as Zverev pulls off the upset and dismisses and denies Novak the rarest of rare tennis achievements. There is still the hope of winning the grand slam for Novak in NY but this huge defeat has got to give the other players some hope that Novak can indeed be beaten.