ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior
Re: Golden Slam?

Post by Skilletsauce » Aug Tue 24, 2021 10:20 am

rex wrote:
Aug Sun 22, 2021 10:14 am
USO will suffer attendance-wise w/o Roger and Rafael. They are the packer of houses for both Tours at dual events. IW will have a tough time as well in early October.
Well I believe the men's final will be sold out in anticipation of Novak's slam bid. I think people will still attend in high numbers especially since there were no spectators allowed last year and qualifying will not allow spectators due to covid. Covid is the big question mark here but I think people will be starved for something to do as well as this being the last slam of the year. I have tickets for 9/3 and will report back what I see attendance wise as well as the day's play.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Tue 24, 2021 11:05 am

Skilletsauce wrote:
Aug Tue 24, 2021 10:20 am
Well I believe the men's final will be sold out in anticipation of Novak's slam bid. I think people will still attend in high numbers especially since there were no spectators allowed last year and qualifying will not allow spectators due to covid. Covid is the big question mark here but I think people will be starved for something to do as well as this being the last slam of the year. I have tickets for 9/3 and will report back what I see attendance wise as well as the day's play.
We shall see, for Cincinnati didn't do that well attendance-wise w/o them and they had no covid attendance restrictions.....

Further, we are not talking about a one-match final to fill the house, for if Novak reaches such to complete the Golden Slam I would think 22k would show up, as well. However, I'm talking about filling the house during the tourney from Day One and the players who would fill Ashe from that point were Roger and Rafael and they've done just that for more than a decade and everywhere else they've played. The year ere the pandemic hit, the USO didn't draw that well. The outer courts weren't well-attended for the ladies and gents. Cori's and Caty's doubles matches were outdrawing men's singles. The USO doesn't have the attendance like Melbourne and Wimby for all their courts. Yet, as you say, because of the crisis the planet is facing maybe people will come out and support the event. Hope so...

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 24, 2021 12:27 pm

Novak has been a cat with 9 lives at all three GS's this year. He escaped by the skin of his teeth too often for comfort. His luck might run out at the USO, given the added pressure. I do think he'd rather face Rafa or Roger than the young guns, and they know they're close to beating him in at grand slam.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 29, 2021 9:02 am

Daniil Medvedev: We Are Going To Try To Stop Novak Djokovic From Winning The US Open

Daniil Medvedev doesn’t want Novak Djokovic to win the US Open. And he wants to keep the Big 3 all locked at 20 Grand Slams…forever.

Speaking to the New York press today, the second-seeded Medvedev who made the 2019 US Open final and the 2021 Australian Open final is tired of finishing runner-up at Grand Slam level. He wants the big titles.

“Now I have two finals,” Medvedev said. “Need to win, to make a better result at a slam if I want to make it better.”

And with big titles means the Big 3, and specifically Djokovic, will not be winning.

“I’m going to try my best to keep it at 20 for all of them,” Medvedev added. “I’m sure Novak wants 45 slams, play till 55. But we’re here to try to keep up his level and to beat him.

“He was going for Olympics. Was up a set and a break against Sascha. Sascha managed to bring on amazing level to beat him. That’s what you have to do against him.

“We’re here to not let him win the US Open. If I talk just for myself, I want to win the US Open. I don’t care if it’s in the final against a qualifier or against Novak. I just want to win this tournament.”

Medvedev begins another chance at a Grand Slam title Monday against former Top 10 and US Open semifinalist Richard Gasquet.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Sep Thu 09, 2021 7:08 pm

Novak is precisely where Serena was in 2015 before she was defeated in what was considered an epic upset by Roberta Vinci. Novak obviously will face a much stiffer test in that of Alexander Zverev to become only the 6th player to win the grand slam if he should emerge victorious. In my mind this semifinal will be the final as Zverev has the best opportunity to beat Novak of the players remaining in the tournament.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:54 pm

This final should be aired during prime time.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Sun 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Watching the final…rooting my brains out for Medvedev.

Novak by far the player I dislike the most - nothing likeable about him.
Seeing him lose his mind with the racquet abuse gives so much satisfaction… seconds before he almost exploded with a ball girl close by… too bad he was able to control himself; disqualification loomed..
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Sun 12, 2021 4:28 pm

And of course Americans root for someone like him… surprise surprise…
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Sep Sun 12, 2021 5:47 pm

Graveller wrote:
Sep Sun 12, 2021 4:28 pm
And of course Americans root for someone like him… surprise surprise…
Maybe many of us aren’t as elitist as some of the
European(mostly) tennis fandom can be? I prefer Djokovic
warts and all over the pseudo niceties of certain
“beloved” one’s.

Anyway, bitter pettiness aside 😉, congrats
to Medvedev on his great win! 😎

Djokovic fought valiantly, just not enough left
in the tank versus an opponent that was just
too solid today. I literally believed if anyone
could he’d pull off the comeback after coming
back from 1-5 and saving a couple of MP’s. Still,
great season! 2022 is going to be fun!!! 😊