Tournaments this week

Gents USO....2019 Maindraw

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Gents USO....2019 Maindraw

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Wed 04, 2019 8:40 pm

He lacks stamina. and pushes and pushes and pushes just to keep the balls in play. Takes very little chances.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Sep Wed 04, 2019 8:40 pm
He lacks stamina. and pushes and pushes and pushes just to keep the balls in play. Takes very little chances.
With a killer's instinct, you don't succumb to fatigue over 20 years.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Sep Thu 05, 2019 9:59 am

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Thu 05, 2019 11:18 am

Dear Monfils:

“I think I had stable character during all my life, all my career. That helps to be…mentally focussed, mentally relaxed and mentally always ready to respect every opponent, to play every point, to play every game, to play every set and every match until the end,” Nadal said. “But of course the stories say that I have been a good fighter on court with good character, positive character, and I am not the only one. There is a lot of ones that fight a lot.”

“I need to be ready to play my best tennis,” Nadal said. “Today I made a step forward, in my opinion. That match gave me confidence. Two matches in a row against two tough opponents. [This is] a moment to increase the level a little bit more and I really believe that I can do it.”

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Fri 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Medvedev and his wonky tennis strokes in the finals. Yikes!!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Sun 08, 2019 12:30 pm

• Daniil Medvedev will not beat Rafael Nadal in the US Open final - McDonald
  • Daniil Medvedev can definitely beat Rafael Nadal, says Marat Safin
  • I would be surprised if Medvedev wins a set against Rafael Nadal - Henman
  • Medvedev is a mental rocket but Rafael Nadal feels confident - Coach
  • Rafael Nadal is a heavy favorite against Daniil Medvedev, says Wilander

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Sep Sun 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Congrats to Rafael on his title and to Daniil for a fabulous final. Atmosphere was tremendous for such a match. Sure that both combatants will cherish this match as one to remember, as well as though of us who were a witness....

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Sep Sun 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Good match & Daniil played great.
Very good comeback in the fourth.

Not good that Nadal kept server waiting all the time & some more (getting in place late, then doing his scratch & sniff routine and additonally holding his racquet up to stop the server - again). This was consistent, very off putting and unfair to Daniil. I think the chair should have said something.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Sep Sun 08, 2019 9:11 pm

CrossCourtBH wrote:
Sep Sun 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Not good that Nadal kept server waiting all the time & some more (getting in place late, then doing his scratch & sniff routine and additionally holding his racquet up to stop the server - again). This was consistent, very off putting and unfair to Daniil. I think the chair should have said something.
Well.....the Chair did cite Rafael for 3 time violations on his serve, losing his lst serve for each violation late in the match, one which cost him a game in the 5th. Thus, he wasn't sitting on his hands the entire match, tho' it bothered Pat McEnroe providing color commentary on the ESPN broadcast. Yet, it didn't seem to bother Daniil in the least, who just kept playing.

In addition, didn't know this, but I learned during this match that Wimby killed the shot clock for their event, left it to the Chair to call time violations. Pat Fowler said players were exceeding the time quite a bit at Wimby due to such. Good, for I can't stand the shot clock....

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Sep Mon 09, 2019 7:50 am

CrossCourtBH wrote:
Sep Sun 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Not good that Nadal kept server waiting all the time & some more (getting in place late, then doing his scratch & sniff routine and additonally holding his racquet up to stop the server - again). This was consistent, very off putting and unfair to Daniil. I think the chair should have said something.
I agree. Yet, I did love how he didn't allow it to really bother him. When he went down two sets I really thought it was over.
However, to see his fight and unwillingness to give in, he's made me a fan! I definitely see him as a future Slam winner.