PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Nadal teases Federer for passing on clay season...

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Post Reply New Topic
Pyotr
Senior
Senior
Nadal teases Federer for passing on clay season...

Post by Pyotr » Apr Tue 17, 2018 2:14 am

Nadal teases Federer for passing on clay season, possible Paris match#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#by: #ed_op#a href="http://new.tennis.com/pro-game/list/kam ... ed_op#span class="author"#ed_cl#Kamakshi Tandon#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#/a#ed_cl# | April 16, 2018#ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#p#ed_cl##ed_op#a href="http://www.tennis.com/player/471/rafael ... _cl#Rafael Nadal#ed_op#/a#ed_cl# teased #ed_op#a href="http://www.tennis.com/player/376/roger- ... d_cl#Roger Federer#ed_op#/a#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# about his decision to skip the clay-court season, saying the two rivals won't get to play  on the slow surface—as the Spaniard says the Swiss wanted to do.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p#ed_cl#"It's not my interest. It's his decision," Nadal was quoted in panish as saying, before adding with a smile, "He said a couple of days ago that he would love to play against me again on clay, best of five sets, so I thought he would play Roland Garros. Then in a few days he says he will not play. A little bit of a contradiction."#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p style=""#ed_cl#Nadal's comment was #ed_op#a href="https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/ten ... 05836.html" target="_blank"#ed_cl#quoted in English#ed_op#/a#ed_cl# using the word "controversial" to describe Federer's decision.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p#ed_cl#The comment appears to refer to Federer's statement during a press conference at Indian Wells, where the 20-time Grand Slam champion responded to a question about his confidence of winning on clay against Nadal, especially with his improved backhand. The shot has been lauded in Federer's recent meetings against Nadal on hardcourts. Last year, Federer went 4-0 against Nadal on the playing surface.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p#ed_cl#"I haven't thought about it, to be honest. I'm not sure how much 'improved backhand' is going to help me against Rafa on clay," Federer said. "But, yeah, sure, I'd love to play Rafa on clay, best-of-five-set match, don't get me wrong. I'd like to see what would happen now. But there is absolutely no guarantee that I would have a better chance now than before."#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p#ed_cl#Federer, who is 2-13 against Nadal on clay, also called the 10-time French Open champion "the guy to beat" on the surface, and said he ''may be the best ever, hands down" when it comes to clay.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p#ed_cl#In the same answer, Federer also insisted that the form of other top players like Nadal or Novak Djokovic would not affect his decision whether to play on clay in 2018.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p#ed_cl#"It really depends on what do I want to do," said Federer about his decision.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl#After his opening-round loss at the Miami Open to Thanasi Kokkinakis, Federer announced he would not be playing any clay-court events this season.#ed_op#p#ed_cl#Nadal is a ten-time Monte Carlo champion and the top seed at this week's ATP Masters 1000 tournament.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl#
Last edited by Pyotr on Apr Tue 17, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Apr Tue 17, 2018 2:28 am

Not sure If I did anything wrong in how I posted this article, but if I did, please let me know.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#That being said, I know Nadal is said to be just teasing, but I think this is an indictment on the tennis media/world and #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Roger Federer that this isn't a bigger story. For a person celebrated in their own time as the "GOAT" in an era where the #ed_op#br#ed_cl#courts have become more homogenized overall and whom isn't suffering from any disclosed injury, this is unacceptable.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I personally think this is a punk move on Federer's part. Also, the tennis world/media at large.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#So enamored are they with him that it's almost seen as sacrilege to criticize or question him. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#To have any articles call or label Nadal's words as controversial only shows how pathetic the #ed_op#br#ed_cl#tennis media is. They should be the one's grilling Federer. If you're not injured then why aren't#ed_op#br#ed_cl#you playing? I may be wrong, but I can't imagine any "GOAT" in any other major sport that would#ed_op#br#ed_cl#skip out and it be seemingly treated as no big deal.
Last edited by Pyotr on Apr Tue 17, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Tue 17, 2018 4:55 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Pyotr#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Not your fault, it happens sometimes with copy/paste...#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#But I re-edited the post (so it looks OK now :-) )#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:Nadal teases Federer for passing on clay season...

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Apr Tue 17, 2018 10:38 am

@Pyotr

"I personally think this is a punk move on Federer's part."
"I may be wrong, but I can't imagine any "GOAT" in any other major sport that would
skip out and it be seemingly treated as no big deal."

LOLOLOLOL is my response to you.

Yes he is the GOAT and he can do with his schedule whatever he pleases. Only he knows what's best for him and his body. YOU SHOULD RESPECT THAT. He's not a show pony, so if he doesn't want to play he doesn't have to. He's 36 and a 20x major champion. He's done everything in tennis; so if he misses a few tournaments, WHO CARES?

If Federer skipping clay seasons mean I get to watch him play for a few more years, I'll take it. And no, Federer doesn't care about Rafa. Rafa has lost any intimidation he had over Federer IMO.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Apr Tue 17, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks Graveller!

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Apr Tue 17, 2018 4:08 pm

#ed_op#font color="#C00000"#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#@ 93tennisroyalty#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/b#ed_cl##ed_op#/font#ed_cl#Oh, no worries your majesty. I'll make sure to go do penance for daring to besmirch the name of Father Federer. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Apr Thu 19, 2018 10:52 am

"Nadal was quoted in panish as saying"

What the heck is "panish"? Who else besides Nadal, and the translator, speaks it?

;)
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession