PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Qualies and Maindraw, Rogers Cup

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Shapovalov : first time I saw the time, it sounded like Sharapovalov ... lol lol

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:31 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Makes me wonder if Maria is Jewish too, on the DL? Here when I say someone is Russian, I get corrected: You mean Jewish. There's a belief that almost all Russians in the USA are really Jewish. Even Russians say so. And in Russia, you cannot be Jewish and Russian. You're either one or the other even though you were born there.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:38 pm

I thought Jewish was like muslim, christian; not a nationality.
So you mean someone cannot be Russian and catholic? or Russian and muslim?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:45 pm

A woman in my office from that region was explaining it to me. She said in the states we lump everyone as Russian but there are few actual Russians in the USA. The vast majority are Jews from Russia who cannot be Russian. Even in their Russian passport it says Nationality: Jewish. I'm assuming it's the same for the other religions? No idea.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:51 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>
 The vast majority are Jews from Russia who cannot be Russian.
Sorry but that sounds like pure BS

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Mon 14, 2017 2:58 pm

If you think about how one qualifies to emigrate to the USA from Russia, it would make sense. They perhaps claim asylum. It's tough otherwise to qualify for a Green Card, if you think about it. They would have to have family here that they're joining (and under the Soviet Union, people could not emigrate except through defection), they possess skills in high demand or wealth to start a business or marry an American. Those are the usual ways. Asylum on the basis of religious persecution is the other. Gays are also using that route to the USA too as Russia is clearly hostile towards them.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Mon 14, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.