------------- bottom half -------

Svitolina [5] - Muguruza [4]
Garcia - Halep [2]

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Thu 10, 2017 9:31 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>
I don't mind the unseeded players winning at all.. Right now, there are no dominant top players.
I was expecting players like Barty, Sloane and Osaka in the next round. 
Barty had this match. Muguruza had trouble with the slices. But twice in 2 crucial games, Barty Double faulted on game points, then proceeded to make 3 UEs each time to give the match away. Pretty disappointing. She let Muguruza escape.

Meanwhile, Aiava is nowhere to be seen. I guess she is hanging around with Taylor. :(
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Aug Thu 10, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Streaking Sloane.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Svitolina blitzed the toured. Ummm....I feel a lengthy suspension in the offing.

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:Qualies and Maindraw, Rogers Cup

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Aug Sun 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Svitolina is the real deal. She just needs to put it together at the grand slams (no more French Open like meltdowns) and she can win one. She's beat all of her relevant competition this year (Pliskova, Halep, Wozniacki, Venus, Muguruza, and Kerber).

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 13, 2017 3:43 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>93tennisroyalty</b>:</font>

Is she? She said yesterday that she expected to have lost long ago which is why she didn't bring enough clothes. So I'm thinking she just went for broke and it worked. Let's see her perform now with expectation before she's crowned the real deal. I saw some of her later matches and she was pounding the ball left right and center and they all went in. That's someone playing without pressure. Again, now let's see her back it up.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Sun 13, 2017 4:08 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

Lol, yes she is the real deal... like I said 4 years ago when the potential was there for all to see...

People called her a "pusher" because she had no Serena-power at age 18... LOL... players who have such power at that age never manage a breakthrough. They had their priorities in development all wrong.

Power comes with age, and altough she will never be biggest hard-hitter, she made great progress.

And she does not need to back this up: after her first P5, some asked her to back it up... then she did it by winning a second P5, and some asked her to back that up too... now she won a 3rd P5... time to stop asking to back it up.
She won this one by beating Venus, Muguruza, Halep and Woz... that is 3 of the last 4 slam finalists. And won against against 3 of them in about 26h...

I called out Kasatkina too as potential top player when she was otceven top100... and some AGAIN questioned her so-called lack of power at age 18.
Some will never learn.
It is not by accident that Kasatkina was the toughest opponent for Svitolina in Toronto...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 13, 2017 4:20 pm

4 years ago? That's a lifetime in women's tennis. Let's see if that so-called one-time meltdown in Paris resurfaces.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Sun 13, 2017 4:39 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

Yep... a lifetime ago I stuck my neck out for her - predicting her to be top5.
I even got her selected in the YE top10 game in 2014 (you can check that).

A player can fluke one event... but you do not fluke yourself to the #4 position ( or #1 in the race).
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 13, 2017 4:53 pm

You can, if the pressure to succeed is kept at bay. Let's see. She had a meltdown playing someone with the pressure to win. By pressure to win, it's up to the press to do so by putting the question to her in Cincy and at the USO from the get go. No more sneaking up on the top players.

Had she had that in Canada, she would've packed appropriately.

On the men side, just look at Ferrer. He was a top player for eons during a time no one expected him to win big titles, and the one time it appeared he could go all the way, he had a 'meltdown.'
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Sun 13, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.