NASTY, Nasty Boy

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
NASTY, Nasty Boy

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Wed 05, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 11, 2017 7:12 pm

French player Adrian Mannarino has complained about Wimbledon’s famous ball boys and girls being treated with undue reverence - after he was penalised for barging into one of the youngsters during a match.

The 29-year-old was yesterday fined £7,000 after he bumped into the ball boy while walking back to his chair during his second-round victory over Japan's Yuichi Sugita.

Serbian umpire Marijana Veljovic judged the collision to be deliberate and docked Mannarino a point for “unsportsmanlike conduct”.

After the match the Frenchman, who reached the fourth round in 2013, hit out at the umpire’s decision, stating: “I don't think he hurt himself. It wasn't a big bump. In fact, he went into me. I don't know who has priority on the court. Is it the players or the ball boys? Can you do Wimbledon with just ball boys? I don't know.”

The incident came after record fines have already been handed out to players at this year’s championships, with Bernard Tomic picking up the second highest recorded financial penalty in Wimbledon’s history.

He told her: "It's a joke. I'm hurting myself just not to hurt (him) and you give me a warning. "Ball kids are the priority, right? I cannot walk to my chair? I'm not hitting him. I'm hitting him as much as he's hitting me."

But Mannarino, who went on to win the match in five sets, was unapologetic about the incident. Speaking afterwards he said: “I didn't walk into him on purpose but that is what she must have thought. I was exhausted at that moment and I saw the ball boy was giving me my towel. I walked towards my seat. Initially, I didn't even know the ball boy was there. And he came in my direction and our shoulders touched.”