Dan Evans, Brit. No. 3, fails drug test

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Post Reply New Topic
93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior
Dan Evans, Brit. No. 3, fails drug test

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Jun Fri 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Dan Evans, the British No. 3, failed a drug test in April at the Barcelona Open; testing positive for cocaine. He's facing up to a 4 year ban due to this anti-doping violation. Evans is currently ranked 50th in the world and in the month leading up to the test, he played tour level events at Davis Cup and Monte Carlo, and since has played Madrid, Rome, and Paris. The ban is scheduled to go into effect next Monday. Evans acknowledges his use of cocaine and describes it as a mistake, but completely unrelated to tennis. Evans isn't the first to test positive for cocaine, the other most notably being Martina Hingis in 2007.

More information: http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/40387574

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 23, 2017 1:49 pm

I don't get the ban for Cocaine... It's not a performance enhancer, just the opposite.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Would they ban a player for getting drunk?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Tennis is not a team sport. It's not like he is ruining his team's chances of winning a match.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Sat 24, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:Dan Evans, Brit. No. 3, fails drug test

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Jun Fri 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Likely out of general health concern for the athlete as well as the overall appearance of the sport, as chronic cocaine use is known to have many adverse health effects.

More information here for anyone who's curious as to why cocaine remains a banned substance: https://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/coca.html

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Oh, boy!

Gasquet
Hingis

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Tennis players should not be tested for cocaine. Are they tested for drinking?
As long as the guys shows up on time and plays his matches, who cares if was drunk the day before? or did cocaine? or smoke some weed? He has a private life.
I can see why the use of PED should be banned. It gives an unfair advantage to the player. But drinking, smoking, cocaine, sex, shouldn't be monitored by WADA. That's an overreach in my opinion.

And by the way, I don't even drink or smoke.. or do any type of drug... One drink every blue moon.... That's it.
So my position on the matter is not to defend myself. :) :)... Just wanted to make it clear because you never know here.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Coke might be a masking agent for other substances.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Coke will not make anyone smarter and more focus... The player is most likely to be erratic.
I don't think a player can play great tennis while "coked". Playing tennis would be the same as driving a car.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Sat 24, 2017 5:58 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Even it is would successfully mask something, the side-effects of coke would take away the benefits of that PED anyway... #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#It's like 'I can hit a bit harder, but my opponent is now a pink elephant.... oh, and there are three balls coming to me; which one to aim for??" :-) :-)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Sat 24, 2017 7:33 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

We still don't know how much he'd taken and they'd found in him.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Sat 24, 2017 9:54 am

Plus, after what happened to MS, how can any player be this stupid, assuming this is really a non-sport related violation?