Tournaments this week

I have a picture for you all

They are not just tennis players, they are stars
CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior
Re: I have a picture for you all

Post by CrossCourtBH » Feb Mon 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi dj - loving your anecdotes - keep em coming.
haha the fork - reminds me of the Aquaman trident you were so fond of...

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Wed 19, 2020 8:45 am

Hey CC,

I could twirl it too, but not as well as Aquaman 8) That was awesome!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Wed 19, 2020 9:12 am

Entering Junior High, Dad got to choose my electives, so he picked:

Woods
Metals
Graphic Design
Home Maintenance
Auto Mechanics
Sewing
Choir
Band

And, he would test me on it ~ On Saturdays, when I thought I was gonna hang out with my friends, I'd hear: DJ, come outside and help me with something. I'd look at Mom like, oh no, please rescue me, and she'd say go on ... He had me changing car oil, tires, and helping with brakes. After dinner, I had to change the faucet washer!!

Well, when I was dating my ex in high school, he used Dad's clippers and broke them. We all sat around teasing him, because we knew what was coming when Dad got home, lol. Dad walked in and saw the clippers apart on the table. After eating, he made my ex sit there while he put it back together (my ex thought he was safe). Then, he took it apart again, and sat there until my ex put it back together properly. We were rolling, but he was sweating bullets. Took him about three hours too, LOL!!

If you broke it, you better be able to fix it. And, never use Dad's things!!

BTW, I stuck with the choir and band :

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Wed 19, 2020 9:25 am

I asked my ex about it last year and heard fear in his voice, lol. He said "Yeah, he made me put them back together. I was scared as s.h.i.t. You look and act just like him"!!

LOL!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Wed 19, 2020 9:44 am

Mom didn't drive ~ They married when she was sixteen, and he tried to teach her. But since he was demanding, it must've frightened her, so she never tried again :) We weren't afforded the luxury to say no, lol!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Thu 20, 2020 10:15 am

I don't think you all fully comprehend my dad, so:

Dad was a Army soldier and mechanical engineer. Besides restoring Mercedes Benz's, he was always building, repairing and designing all kinds of things big, small, gigantic or intricate!!

See that big tree by brothers were standing in front of? Well, Dad cut it down on his own (rented a cherry picker and his friends helped). When it landed, it cracked the cement walkway and it irritated him. So, he sat down at his drafting table, with mechanical pencils, and designed a whole new sidewalk, walkway, driveway and porch. A few weeks later, he bought this old cement mixer and repaired it. Then, he bought truck loads of sand, gravel and cement mix. Then he went to work on it:

He tested the mix to get it just right (no cracks), then he orchestrated an assembly line with his friends and kids in the neighborhood (he'd pay them, so all the kids liked to help). One day, I tried to roll the wheel barrel full of cement and it starting tilting (I was nine), and Dad grabbed it just in time. I was scared I screwed up, but he said "that's too heavy for you" and gave me a bucketful instead.

He started that project in Spring and completed it by August :) No kids would dare step in the wet cement after he laid it, lol. He was brilliant!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Thu 20, 2020 10:19 am

BTW, it's still there with no cracks :)

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:28 am

Since I was such a tomboy, Mom enrolled me into charm school to soften my edges. I learned runway modeling (yes, walking with books on my head, lol) and modern dancing. I tried ballet, but I was too tall and didn't want ugly toes, so modern dancing was it. I excelled at it too. Ever see the Alvin Ailey Dancers?? ;)

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Fri 21, 2020 5:34 pm

I visited my uncles this afternoon because they put word out they wanted to "see" me. They don't call me DJ, I'm DdD to them. First thing they said: "Girl you look good; you look like a teenager"!! They think I look like their tallest sister!!

Then, a third uncle walked in, fussing & cussing at something because he didn't know I was there, lol. It was the one who almost smothered me when I was little. He gave me a big hug and asked how old I was now. I was giggling under my breathe because he still feels bad about that, lol. He called his wife and put me on the phone, then asked me over for dinner. I told them I don't drive at night, so he said he'll pick me up for lunch :lol:

OMG, they asked me every question in the book: What I eat and drink; medications; kid; work; love life; living arrangements; problems; etc...

I'm their favorite :P

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Fri 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Dad played guitar, so he'd have us all sit around in a circle for a jam sessions (da dum da dum ...), and shoot out age appropriate math and science questions. If you answered correctly, you were awarded with a treat (a trinket he made; candy; time off on chores; or ice cream!), so it was competitive. I was a little tot, but if pain in the ass brother failed his question, Dad would ask me, and I got most of them correct :) Twice the prize for me, and none for him!!

Once grown, and my protection brother gone, I never thought he would ...