PeterSkan
Senior
Senior
Re: I have a picture for you all

Post by PeterSkan » Jan Thu 30, 2020 12:17 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Jan Wed 29, 2020 10:54 am
SkanCan,

Do you remember our conversation back in 2003?? I said on ESPN that NJ is a wonderful state, and you asked me why. I had you in mind when I posted the story quoted above :)

Do you remember what I said to you back then??
I do remember asking you about it as I did not have a positive view of NJ, I guess owing to some coverage I saw in National Geographic. So I was curious to hear your perspective. I'm sorry I don't recall exactly what you said, though the words you just used above sound familiar ... Please remind me :)
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Thu 30, 2020 6:52 pm

I thought you were teasing me so I said: I'm not arguing with you, lol!!

I confess that I've been watching you closely since then :wink:

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Thu 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Hiking & Science …

Pain in the butt brother took me hiking in the woods one day when I was about eight. We came across this little dead tree lying on the ground and he bet me that I couldn't pick it up, so of course I took the bet. It was about 20' long and 3" in diameter. I couldn't even budge that thing. I looked at him in wonder like WTH? lol. He said: That's because it's dense, look it up & pay up (,25 cents) :(

So, the next day I went to the library (no internet back then, lol) and looked up everything on trees and density. I found the giant redwoods of CA. AMAZING!!!! I stayed there all day in wonder, studying density and found Science ~ I still love Science to this day :)

Once Dad discovered that I loved Science, he broadened my curiosity by purchasing a telescope. We would sit outside and stargaze for hours and hours, Then, the discovery of blackholes, the densest thing in the universe ~ HOOKED. I made my son & ex-hubby stargaze with me too, LOL. Right now, Red Giant Betelgeuse (Orion Constellation's right shoulder) is dimming, signs of SUPERNOVA & I'm siked!!!!!!!

He was/is a pain, but also a teacher :)

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jan Thu 30, 2020 11:09 pm

djmm1962 wrote:
Jan Thu 30, 2020 7:45 pm
Hiking & Science …

Pain in the butt brother took me hiking in the woods one day when I was about eight. We came across this little dead tree lying on the ground and he bet me that I couldn't pick it up, so of course I took the bet. It was about 20' long and 3" in diameter. I couldn't even budge that thing. I looked at him in wonder like WTH? lol. He said: That's because it's dense, look it up & pay up (,25 cents) :(

So, the next day I went to the library (no internet back then, lol) and looked up everything on trees and density. I found the giant redwoods of CA. AMAZING!!!! I stayed there all day in wonder, studying density and found Science ~ I still love Science to this day :)

Once Dad discovered that I loved Science, he broadened my curiosity by purchasing a telescope. We would sit outside and stargaze for hours and hours, Then, the discovery of blackholes, the densest thing in the universe ~ HOOKED. I made my son & ex-hubby stargaze with me too, LOL. Right now, Red Giant Betelgeuse (Orion Constellation's right shoulder) is dimming, signs of SUPERNOVA & I'm siked!!!!!!!

He was/is a pain, but also a teacher :)
Nice. Thanks for sharing
go firmly to the window

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Fri 31, 2020 12:23 am

Slick response … I appreciate that :)

Panther, Mountain Lion (Puma), or Jaguar??

Momma told me which one she thought we descended from, but I'm intrigued to find out which one you think I am. That's a question??

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Fri 31, 2020 7:39 pm

When I was about four, my uncle (who's the same age as my eldest brother) and I were playing around in my brother's room. Then, he put a pillow over my face and held it there. I struggled for a bit, but then felt like I was flying. Next thing I remembered was him shaking me and asking if I was alright.

I didn't cry, but I did tell my brothers ...

They started kicking his a.s.s., and when Dad came in to find out what all the noise was about, he spanked him too. Everyone in the family beat him down, lol.

He's my ex's best friend and he still remembers that too. DJ was almost a goner!!

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jan Fri 31, 2020 8:59 pm

djmm1962 wrote:
Jan Fri 31, 2020 12:23 am
Slick response … I appreciate that :)

Panther, Mountain Lion (Puma), or Jaguar??

Momma told me which one she thought we descended from, but I'm intrigued to find out which one you think I am. That's a question??
Hmmm - well, when I was a kid I was especially intrigued by the Panther. I collected comics, and Stan Lee introduced the Black Panther character in Issue 52 of the Fantastic Four. I still have it. That came out in 1966, I believe. Fifty years later they made the blockbuster movie. Talk about a visionary.

So I will say the Panther ... :)
go firmly to the window

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Fri 31, 2020 11:17 pm

Nice guess, SkanCan !!

But, I'm Puma … Stealth, stalking, loves snow, and family oriented 8)

Without any interference from me, my son picked Puma as his HS mascot ~ Grand Momma was delighted :P

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Fri 31, 2020 11:43 pm

BTW, she survived her husband (married at age 12) and seven of her children, Mom included :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Late 1960's took a HARD hit on my family!!!!

During biofeedback to forget about pelvis & back pain (never used opioids), it brought out decades of memories I hope to never forget!! Witnessed Dad's dementia and it was devastating!!

Please hang tight with me, Tennis Fam!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Sat 01, 2020 12:27 am

I was raised Baptist (The Deacon), but switched to AME Zion (Paul Robeson's church, around the corner) ...

Professionally, I bumped into this first gen Irish American supervisor who came to Mom's wake (had the Statue of Library on her wall) She asked me what the baptismal pool was :shock:

That dumb unethical immoral jealous ugly ******* ruined my career, and they promoted her!!

F.U.C.K' ing … MERCK!!