PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

The Slumping Trio - Ivanovic, Chakvetadze, and Vaidisova!

All Tennis, All the Time

Who stands the best chance of getting their career back on track?

Ana Ivanovic
81%
Nicole Vaidisova
15%
Anna Chakvetadze
4%

Total votes: 26

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Slumping Trio - Ivanovic, Chakvetadze, and Vaidisova!

Post by Footsoldier » Feb Mon 08, 2010 1:04 am

Just 3 years ago, all of these ladies were solid top 10 players contending for slams.... and here they are in 2010 struggling to even win games against players who they would have killed just years ago.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#And ironically... their slumps have all followed similar paths.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Ivanovic - began showing signs of weakness in April/May 2008... had a great tournament at RG, but then the 'slump' continued.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Vaidisova - began showing signs of weakness in March/April 2008... had a good tournament at Wimbledon, then struggled to win a match after that. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Chakvetadze - began showing SERIOUS signs of weakness in February/March 2008... but later had good tournaments in Rome/Wimbledon/New Haven. But apart from that, struggled majorly.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Then Ana began showing signs of life again in February/March 2009... but couldn't sustain that level. Has been slumping pretty terribly ever since.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Nicole started coming alive again in March/April 2009... but then faded majorly immediately after.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Anna had a few good showings in May/June 2009... beat Jankovic and Stosur and nearly beat Venus. But then her level dropped after that too and she's never recovered.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#And all 3 arguably just hit their rock-bottoms. Ana's currently on a 3 match losing streak and is playing terribly. Vaidisova just lost in the 1R of a $25k. Chakvetadze is losing to journeywomen in WTA International qualifying events.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Is there hope left for ANY of them?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Q. How would you feel if you would have gone out and lost to a woman who was playing on one leg?

SERENA WILLIAMS: If she was Serena Williams, I wouldn't feel that bad (smiling).

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Footsoldier » Feb Mon 08, 2010 1:23 am

Personally... I like her the least out of the 3, but I think Chakvetadze has the best shot out of all of them to rebuild her career. No doubt it's mental with her, but I think with matchplay she can get back on track. And she has the best approach out of the 3 of them IMO... I really like how she's dropped down to the smaller International events to try to find her form. I don't know if she'll ever be able to get back into the top 5 again, but getting back inside the top 15 isn't all that out of reach I think. I feel like if she can get 1 good match, that's all she'll need to get back on track.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#As for Ivanovic.... everything is just awful. Her game has fallen apart, she can't throw the ball straight up in the air anymore... and she tries to push off the ground but she still makes more errors than when she used to ballbash.
#ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Rolleyes/6.gif"#ed_cl# And the worst thing of all is that she's in a state of denial and refuses to admit that anything's wrong. She's been saying that "my game will come together soon!" for almost 20 months now... whereas the opposite seems to be happening. She's getting even worse rather than getting better.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#And with Nicole... I don't even know anymore! LOL. If she wants to come back it'll be easier for her than it would be for Ana/Anna IMO... but I don't think Nicole's willing to put in the work. But if the care factor comes back, then she certainly shouldn't have a problem coming back. Time will tell though... she's in a $100k in Michigan this week and then she has Memphis (she asked for a WC and they granted it... since she's supported the tournament in the past) next week, so this will be an important few weeks for her.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I hope all 3 of them are able to come back, but I have my doubts. The tour would be so much funner/stronger if these 3 could establish themselves as contenders again. Love them or hate them, they all bring emotion to the court... and the tour needs that these days.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Q. How would you feel if you would have gone out and lost to a woman who was playing on one leg?

SERENA WILLIAMS: If she was Serena Williams, I wouldn't feel that bad (smiling).

serenarulz09
Senior
Senior

Re:The Slumping Trio - Ivanovic, Chakvetadze, and Vaidisova!

Post by serenarulz09 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 11:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had to vote for Vadisova because I think she has the best chance of becoming great again concidering at her best she was better than the others at their best IMO. I think if Nicole had played like she use to play she very well could have won a slam in 08.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

missinandre
Commish
Commish

Post by missinandre » Feb Mon 08, 2010 12:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO!! What a thread!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going with Ana just because...I think she was the best of the three. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But in truth....I'd go with whomever is the youngest.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
That's tennis and ya gotta love it!!!!

serenarulz09
Senior
Senior

Post by serenarulz09 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 10:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I want to know where Jelena Jankovic and Dinara Safina are? Aren't they worthy of being on this poll?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Footsoldier » Feb Mon 08, 2010 10:46 pm

serenarulz09 wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#I had to vote for Vadisova because I think she has the best chance of becoming great again concidering at her best she was better than the others at their best IMO. I think if Nicole had played like she use to play she very well could have won a slam in 08.#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#She has/had all the weapons to be great... that's what really upsets me about why she suddenly stopped caring. Azarenka is #6 in the world right now, and Nicole is basically an Azarenka clone that's a step slower but has a 10x better serve. I honestly think the Nicole pre-2008 would be sitting at #2 or #3 in the world right now... but instead she's wasting her talent and is about to fall out of the top 200. #ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Happy/35.gif"#ed_cl# :(#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Footsoldier » Feb Mon 08, 2010 10:49 pm

serenarulz09 wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#I want to know where Jelena Jankovic and Dinara Safina are? Aren't they worthy of being on this poll?#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Their slumps are nowhere near as bad. Safina's was for awhile, but she was playing fairly well to start off 2010 until she reinjured herself. And Jankovic might not be at her 2008 level, but she hasn't fallen nearly as badly as Ana/Anna/Nicole have. She just beat the #4 player in the world yesterday, after all.. :)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Footsoldier » Feb Mon 08, 2010 10:49 pm

missinandre wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#But in truth....I'd go with whomever is the youngest.#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Ana and Anna are both 22. Nicole's 20.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

serenarulz09
Senior
Senior

Post by serenarulz09 » Feb Tue 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Footsoldier wrote:
missinandre wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But in truth....I'd go with whomever is the youngest.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Ana and Anna are both 22. Nicole's 20.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I thought Nicole was around 24 lol. I thought when Serena played her in the Australian Open(semi's???) She was 20.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Footsoldier » Feb Tue 09, 2010 2:16 pm

serenarulz09 wrote:
Footsoldier wrote:
missinandre wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#But in truth....I'd go with whomever is the youngest.#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Ana and Anna are both 22. Nicole's 20.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#div#ed_cl# #ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl# #ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#I thought Nicole was around 24 lol. I thought when Serena played her in the Australian Open(semi's???) She was 20.#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Nope... Nicole's 20 right now. She turns 21 in April. I always forget she's so young too... shes been an established player for almost 6 years now, so it's hard to believe she's still so young. It's sad that most of her success came when she was 16-17. :(#ed_op#br#ed_cl#