Wuhan (& its seeds)

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
Graveller
Commish
Commish
Wuhan (& its seeds)

Post by Graveller » Sep Wed 26, 2018 3:42 am

#ed_op#div#ed_cl#Pavs and Barty won vs Kvitova and Kerber thi morning, so Woz is the only Top10 that may reach the QF of Wuhan.#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#And she is not the most consistent top-player of the last months...#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#Now you won't hear me complain too much: the first QF that is known is Barty vs Pavlyuchenkova, and there is a possibility that he other top half QF is Kasatkina vs Sabalenka.#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl# One of these 4 in the F is perfectly OK for me!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: Wuhan (& its seeds)

Post by rex » Sep Wed 26, 2018 12:08 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Graveller#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl# 
Pavs and Barty won vs Kvitova and Kerber thi morning, so Woz is the only Top10 that may reach the QF of Wuhan.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#And she is not the most consistent top-player of the last months...
#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#This current top-10 is just a ranking. They are clearly not formidable, pitifully inconsistent, and one of, if not, the weakest top-10 in recent memory. 8 of the 10 couldn't get past the 3rd rd at Wimby, 6 of them didn't pass the 2nd, the last one was bounced in the 4th rd. At the USO, 7 of the 10 got bounced by the 3rd and here at the Premier 5 Wuhan event 7 of the 10 didn't get past their lst rd. opponent, which includes Naomi's WD. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#3 of these girls look like walking advertisements for "Care packages", they are so frail, but think their "fit" and "hot", namely the anorexic Svitolina, who severely dieted herself out of competition since Miami, Petra K. and Muguruza. Petra K. stunk last night losing to Pavly', with a display of tennis at age 28 befitting the young Ostapenko, who gifts 30 points in a set routinely in every event she plays practically at age 20, but who has been a top-10 player 'til recently. Yet, one has to give Jelena some room to mature out of this, unlike the undisciplined Petra K at age 28. It's an embarrassment for the WTA and tourneys to advertise top-10 players for their events at their websites and elsewhere as an attraction to have this current top-10 routinely lose early at Slams and Premier 5 events so often, unlike the men's game where their top-10 and near-to-over 30 men's players keep their tennis events interesting with competitive matches, including exhos like the Laver Cup, going deep and filling stadiums. #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Sep Sat 29, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: Wuhan (& its seeds)

Post by Graveller » Sep Wed 26, 2018 12:18 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#rex#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl# Sadly, I have to agree with you... this top 10 is a joke (giving Osaka, and to lesser extent Kerber and Halep some credit).#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#So we now have one seeded player into the QF (Seed #16 Barty)... and no less than three WC/QF in the bottom section...#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#One simply has to root for Barty and Sabalenka from this point onwards. And why not Siniakova in the final too.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Jeff in Texas
Regular
Regular

Post by Jeff in Texas » Sep Thu 27, 2018 12:04 am

It is true - the lack of consistency on the women's side is breathtaking in some ways, and it isn't that the competition has picked up the level in most cases. Instead, it is these supposedly top players falling apart. Woz and Svitolina have crashed impressively, Mugu is someone who consistently plays maybe top 50 level. I have to give it up for Halep - at least she has generally shown some consistently and grit, although she can get blasted off the court by a big hitter.

If Serena was not recovering still and finding her form (and playing more), she would be ahead of the other players by about 4000 points in the rankings.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Thu 27, 2018 5:31 am

Barty and Wang qualify for the semi so far.

I had a look at Barty's results in 2018; only three R1 losses (last on in Rome vs Sharapova), and her losses often come vs good players:
Azarenka, Pliskova, Halep (2 x), Kasatkina, Wozniacki (2x), Goerges, Konta (final on grass), Serena, Pavlyuchenkova, Svitolina, Osaka, Kerber.
Her only losses against players with a lower profile were early this year (Sakkari, Tsurenko). And even them I do consider decent.

If you would ask me to name a few players who could become top10 and playing high-level consistently, I would probably mention Osaka and Barty.

Too early to assess Sabalenka. A few good months is not the same as a good year.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Fri 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Rooting for Sabelenka tomorrow... it is like ke Bencic who won Canada as a youngster. Hoping that Sabalenka does not get injured.

In the PGame, Rex is in the lead and can win this event for the 4th time in 5 years....

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Sat 29, 2018 7:16 am

Sabalenka close to a first P5-win... first set has been won, and a break ahead in the second after being broken early in that set... 6-3 *4-3...
Last edited by Graveller on Sep Sat 29, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Sat 29, 2018 7:54 am

Sabalenka wins... and Rex wins.... 4th Wuhan title in 5 editions. This is really your event, Rex :-)

A quick look at the past , and only Wannadoo75 (who else) managed to win specific events 4 times: Rome and the Japan International Open.
Rex, you can also win Moscow for the 4th time next months.

Also, you now won Wuhan 3 times in a row (2016, 2017, 2018); that is also a rare event. But it has been done before:

Roland Garros (2004, 2005, 2006): Glowingbrains
Miami (2012, 2013, 2014): Graveller
Moscow (2013, 2014, 2015): Rex
YEC (2003, 2004, 2005): PY07
Quebec (2015, 2016, 2017): Graveller

current "series" of two wins in a row:
US Open: Graveller
Indian Wells: Pyotr
Olympics (2012, 2016): Ace2Ace
Prem. Tokyo: Rex
YEC: Graveller
Hongkong: Wannadoo75
Nurnberg: Ace2Ace
Nottingham: Ace2Ace
Taipei: Pyotr