USO: SERENA Seeded Higher Than Maria

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
USO: SERENA Seeded Higher Than Maria

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 21, 2018 1:31 pm

2018 US Open Seeds: French Champs Halep, Nadal No. 1s; Serena Gets Bump

The seedings for the upcoming US Open were released today by the tournament. True to form, the men’s seeds went along with the last ATP Rankings, put defending champion Rafael Nadal at No. 1, 5-time winner Roger Federer at 2, 2009 titlist Juan Martin del Potro at 3 and world No. 4 Alexander Zverev at 4.

Recent Wimbledon and Cincinnati winner Novak Djokovic stayed at No. 6 meaning he could be a quarterfinal opponent for Nadal, Federer, del Potro or Zverev. That will be determined when the draw is made Thursday afternoon.

Plus, two former champions Stan Wawrinka and Andy Murray are among the many dangerous floaters.

In the women’s draw, Simona Halep will be the top seed at the US Open for a first time. The Romanian cannot lose her No. 1 ranking at the event. The top 4 women’s seeds have won the last four Slams.

But the news is Serena Williams who was bumped up from a 26 to a 17 seed, thus avoiding a Top 8 player in the third round. Venus is the 16 seed, which may have prevented the tournament from placing Serena higher because then Venus would have fallen into the lesser 17-24 seed grouping.

If anyone in the Top 16 does pull out before the schedule is made – Venus has been battling a knee injury – Serena would be the big beneficiary (another reason to put her at 17!)

Last year, Nadal beat Kevin Anderson to win the men’s title. Sloane Stephens upended countrywoman Madison Keys to win the women’s crown.

2018 US Open Men’s Singles Seeds
1. Rafael Nadal, Spain
2. Roger Federer, Switzerland
3. Juan Martin del Potro, Argentina
4. Alexander Zverev, Germany
5. Kevin Anderson, South Africa
6. Novak Djokovic, Serbia
7. Marin Cilic, Croatia
8. Grigor Dimitrov, Bulgaria
9. Dominic Thiem, Austria
10. David Goffin, Belgium
11. John Isner, United States
12. Pablo Carreno Busta, Spain
13. Diego Schwartzman, Argentina
14. Fabio Fognini, Italy
15. Stefanos Tsitsipas, Greece
16. Kyle Edmund, Great Britain
17. Lucas Pouille, France
18. Jack Sock, United States
19. Roberto Bautista Agut, Spain
20. Borna Coric, Croatia
21. Kei Nishikori, Japan
22. Marco Cecchinato, Italy
23. Hyeon Chung, South Korea
24. Damir Dzumhur, Bosnia and Herzegovina
25. Milos Raonic, Canada
26. Richard Gasquet, France
27. Karen Khachanov, Russia
28. Denis Shapovalov, Canada
29. Adrian Mannarino, France
30. Nick Kyrgios, Australia
31. Fernando Verdasco, Spain
32. Filip Krajinovic, Serbia

2018 US Open Women’s Singles Seeds
1. Simona Halep, Romania
2. Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark
3. Sloane Stephens, United States
4. Angelique Kerber, Germany
5. Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic
6. Caroline Garcia, France
7. Elina Svitolina, Ukraine
8. Karolina Pliskova, Czech Republic
9. Julia Goerges, Germany
10. Jelena Ostapenko, Latvia
11. Daria Kasatkina, Russia
12. Garbiñe Muguruza, Spain
13. Kiki Bertens, Netherlands
14. Madison Keys, United States
15. Elise Mertens, Belgium
16. Venus Williams, United States
17. Serena Williams, United States
18. Ashleigh Barty, Australia
19. Anastasija Sevastova, Latvia
20. Naomi Osaka, Japan
21. Mihaela Buzarnescu, Romania
22. Maria Sharapova, Russia
23. Barbora Strycova, Czech Republic
24. CoCo Vandeweghe, United States
25. Daria Gavrilova, Australia
26. Aryna Sabalenka, Belarus
27. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Russia
28. Anett Kontaveit, Estonia
29. Dominika Cibulkova, Slovakia
30. Carla Suarez Navarro, Spain
31. Magdalena Rybarikova, Slovakia
32. Maria Sakkari, Greece

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Tue 21, 2018 4:50 pm

So there is a 12.5% chance of Serena and Venus meeting in R3... with the original seeding, there was 0% chance...

I see karma looming on the horizon....
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Tue 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Serena didn't need this at all. LOL.. US Open got caught up with the drama over Serena ranked #900 and made up their mind too early to change her seeding. #26 or #17 makes no much difference, folks. This move was useless. You messed up the Skan Contest for no reason. Luckily very few people have posted teams so far.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Serena was just in Wimbledon Final. In French Open, she destroyed the competition before bailing out due to injury. She is the tough one to beat in Slams. No need to mess with the draw.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Aug Tue 21, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Aug Tue 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Hahaha the tg board is cool but what if it Maria who was seeded higher ? I could see grossie, graveler and most specially ace2dump complaining of racism.. blond is god .. for me it doesn’t matter a number one ranked serena is nothing Maria will her kick her ass as easy as the Wimbledon finals of 2004.😂🤣👎🏿👍🏻

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Wed 22, 2018 12:59 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Skan goes by ranking, not by seeding!!

If a ranked player was out be, we do not move up players but we simply added a star so they are indicated out.

That is why we can always start the Skan on monday (also for Wimbedon) because it is ranked-based and not seeded-based.

Ser ATP roland garros where we followed ranking despite Federer being out months ahead (so seeds and ranks are different)

I see you made the changes, but I have no time to change it again. Top 15 stayed the same so there is no impact. We will have to do it by seed this time...
Last edited by Graveller on Aug Wed 22, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re:USO: SERENA Seeded Higher Than Maria

Post by sekasi » Aug Wed 22, 2018 9:43 am

What happened to Muguruza, I thought she was in the top 5?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 22, 2018 4:06 pm

More distractions for Venus:

Venus Williams' phone will be examined in fatal crash

Lawyers for Venus Williams must hire an expert to examine an iPhone that was in the tennis legend's SUV at the time of a deadly car crash last year, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Attorneys for the estate of Jerome Barson — who are pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit — had asked the court to force Williams to provide the device over her legal team's objection.

But Circuit Judge James Nutt instead ordered Williams' side to conduct its own review of the phone and report the findings within the next 30 days. A phone must be treated like any other search for records in civil litigation, he explained.

"I liken a cellphone is no different from a file cabinet," Nutt said told Williams' attorney Kevin Yombor. "You haven't opened the file cabinet yet for yourselves."

Williams has already given a sworn statement that she wasn't texting, talking or using social media on the iPhone 6S Plus.

And her lawyers say they've provided AT&T phone records indicating Williams wasn't "on, or using, her phone" in the 43 minutes before the crash and in the 17 minutes after it. The records show only a tiny amount of data was "passively" uploaded and downloaded, according to Williams' defense.

Still, the Barson family attorneys say they have a right to dig deeper to explore an allegation that Williams wasn't paying attention behind the wheel.

"We're very pleased with the court's ruling this morning and the judge's guidance," attorney Gary Iscoe said. "Distracted driving kills and harms many people and is a big problem in the community."

Palm Beach Gardens police have said Williams was not at fault, because she was stuck in an intersection when her Toyota Sequoia was hit by a Hyundai Accent at 1:13 p.m. June 9, 2017.

Williams said she was traveling north from her younger sister's home in the Steeplechase community to her home in BallenIsles.

According to a police report in December, Williams entered the intersection of Northlake Boulevard and BallenIsles Drive on a green light, but the signal turned red while Williams had stopped to avoid hitting a Nissan Altima making a left turn in front of her.

Williams' lawyers have accused Linda Barson of "driving carelessly and recklessly" and not stopping the Hyundai on westbound Northlake before entering the intersection.

Front seat passenger Jerome Barson, 78, died 13 days after the wreck. The cause was complications involving blunt force trauma, according to an autopsy report.

"I feel like it was an accident," Williams, 38, said in a deposition last November.

The tennis pro's attorneys argued in court documents that they shouldn't have to turn over the phone "to satisfy a wild goose chase."

They say releasing the phone would be a violation of Williams' privacy, that it is "harassing" and that it would expose confidential information.

Under the judge's ruling Wednesday, they won't have to hand over the phone.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Wed 22, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Wed 22, 2018 8:43 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Graveller#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;Yeah... already fixed... I got a bit lost. There is a reason we don't use seeding. It can change by of tournament organizers. They can't change ranking. :)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Aug Wed 22, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Aug Wed 22, 2018 11:34 pm

The good old days when grossie posting links that doesn’t have anything to do with his post .. now she’s posting mile long Bs that nobody read.. &#128078;&#127999;&#128078;&#127999;&#128078;&#127999;&#128078;&#127999;

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Thu 23, 2018 11:01 am

Dear MyTiwtiw:

Always forward thinking, Venus Williams not worried about poor results this season

This time last year, Venus Williams was in the midst of her most successful season in nearly a decade. She played in the final at the Australian Open and Wimbledon and capped her Grand Slam season with a semifinals run at the US Open. She then reached the championship match at the WTA Finals. With little sister Serena out for the majority of the year on maternity leave, Venus was the Williams sister at the forefront of American tennis.

This season, little has gone to script for the elder Williams. She hasn't seen the second week at a Slam, suffered the first back-to-back first-round defeats at majors in her career and dropped out of the top 10 in the world rankings. In early August, just three weeks before the start of the US Open, Williams withdrew from the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati with a right knee injury that forced her to scale back her preparation for New York, a tournament she hasn't won since 2001. With Serena back -- and already making Grand Slam finals -- Williams is once again playing in the shadow of little sis.

All that begs the question: In the midst of such a trying season, what fuels Williams, 38, a seven-time Grand Slam champion and the CEO of two companies, to continue crisscrossing the globe to play professional tennis?

She says the answer is as simple as it is cliché. She still has love for the game.

"My love, my motivation, it comes from the same place it came from yesterday," Williams said by phone from her home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, where she's training for the US Open, doing physical therapy and fulfilling sponsor obligations for American Express. "It's all about caring. As long as you care, you are going to be able to keep that love even when you don't get the perfect result. It's the day you don't care that you know you have to move on."

Williams is a forward-thinker, a businesswoman and designer who, as CEO of EleVen athletic apparel and V Star Interiors, is constantly attempting to forecast the next hot trend, and a player who rarely looks in the rear-view. "My primary focus is what's ahead of me," Williams said. That ability will serve her well in shaking off the past seven months as she prepares for New York.

"I've played amazing in a lot of tournaments where I didn't think I was going to play well at all," Williams said. "You can't get too into thinking, 'This is the perfect preparation for me.' I know how to play tennis. I can play tennis at any given point in time and I can play well. Even though I had to withdraw [from Cincinnati], I am doing everything I can to get back on the court. I have the confidence to walk into the next event and know I can make it happen."

In 22 seasons, Williams has followed Grand Slam wins with disappointing losses, and she's won tournaments when she couldn't explain her success. Knowing that greatness often comes when you least expect it -- just ask 2017 US Open champ Sloane Stephens -- has Williams feeling calmer than one might expect heading into New York, where she says her goal is still to improve upon her stellar 2017 performance. "I don't necessarily look at the last year and say, 'I want to see the same result,'" Williams says. "I think, 'I want this year to be even better.'"

Last year, Williams powered her way through the US Open draw, enamoring the tennis world with her post-match interviews (and trademark twirls) while reminding her peers that age is but a number. At several points in the tournament -- and especially after taking the second set of her semifinal match against Stephens 6-0, a match she eventually lost 6-1, 0-6, 7-5 -- Williams seemed destined to return to the final in Flushing Meadows for the first time in 15 years. And although she doesn't allow herself to rest her mind on that moment for long, that loss still stings. Better yet: It's motivation for a better performance this year.

"I did the best I could last year," Williams said. "There were a lot of wins, and it was a great time and sometimes you play better on one or two points and win, and sometimes ... I played a match I believe I deserved to win, but that doesn't always happen. Those are the hardest losses, but you are proud of the effort you made. That is how I feel about last year in New York. I'm proud of the effort and proud of a great result."

And this year? What will Williams deem success in her 22nd US Open campaign?

"Success is really about being able to look back and say I gave it my all and I enjoyed it," Williams says. "A lot of people play sports and go through life not enjoying their experiences and I am so thankful that I have done that." She pauses. "And obviously wining helps you enjoy it more. So I would like to be able to win. That will make it even more fun and special."
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Thu 23, 2018 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.