Doubles (each team):

Winner: $700,000
Runner-Up: $350,000
Semifinalist: $166,400
Quarterfinalist: $85,275
Round of 16: $46,500
Round of 32: $27,875
Round of 64: $16,500

54k for just qualifying......significant. I hope the USO gives Patty Schnyder a WC into the maindraw just because..... Nice chunk of change to help her with a young'n....

93k for the 2nd rd, equivalent to winning 3 International events. Nice for the players. Hope the place is packed for all courts this year....

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articl ... tml?chip=0

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Wed 18, 2018 9:26 am

It won't be long before the winner of the US Open collects $10 millions

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:USO Prize Money for 2018

Post by rex » Jul Wed 18, 2018 5:44 pm

This USO is such a good deal for the players. If a player wanted to scavenge the 3 events (singles, doubles and mixed) a first rd qualifying in all 3 would allow such players to earn near 100k for those events, more than a host of players would earn playing 10 Tour and certainly ITF events. 2nd rd participation is even greater, for just playing singes and doubles (over 100k). Many players struggle just to stay relevant due to the expenses (travel, coaches, hotel accommodations) of playing and w/o sponsorship(s) of some sort it gets even more severe. This uptick in prize money is a blessing for them and it's good to see for the players sake.

Yet, to increase prize money in these amounts for this USO ticket prices must have increased as well, and, if they are much as it costs to watch the Rogers Cup in Canada, then blessings to those with deep pockets who can afford such.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Fri 20, 2018 6:09 am

Top players earn too much... especially at slams... and as a result the top players are killing the regular tour because they don't show up for smaller events. They don't need the money.

From Rome onwards until the events NEXT week (Moscow, Nanchang), we had 6 weeks of non-slam tennis....
In those six weeks (incl the whole grass season), we saw only NINE top10 appearances; so on average, the top10 players entered ONE non-slam event since Rome....

People won't bother to go to those smaller events when top top10 is always absent...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Fri 20, 2018 6:12 am

And I know that many fans want a longer grass season.... why? it was extended from two weeks to three weeks and the top10 couldn't care less.... and got knocked out early by those who did care to play a proper program.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jul Tue 24, 2018 3:06 pm

<font color="brown">@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>
<div>
</div><div>
Top players earn too much... especially at slams... and as a result the top players are killing the regular tour because they don't show up for smaller events. They don't need the money.

From Rome onwards until the events NEXT week (Moscow, Nanchang), we had 6 weeks of non-slam tennis....
In those six weeks (incl the whole grass season), we saw only NINE top10 appearances; so on average, the top10 players entered ONE non-slam event since Rome....

People won't bother to go to those smaller events when top top10 is always absent...

And I know that many fans want a longer grass season.... why? it was extended from two weeks to three weeks and the top10 couldn't care less.... and got knocked out early by those who did care to play a proper program.
</div><div>
</div><div><i>Top players don't usually play minor tourneys as a whole, unless they elect to do so for various reasons, like returning from an injury hiatus and are in need of match play, or just because they like playing such events, citing Venus for Hong Kong and the now-defunct 250k in Florianopolis, Brazil, where she packed the place while winning such a few years ago, but the tourney folded after she didn't return, tourney attendance dropping like a rock even with Navarro and Muguruza participating the following year(s); Petra K for New Haven, Wozniacki for Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur to name a few. In addition, just because a player may be top-10 doesn't mean that player can pack houses (Wozniacki doesn't for Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur, Petra K. doesn't for New Haven), for most do not, citing the ladies, specifically. Imo, this current top-10 for the ladies are not draws, in addition to not being very good, for 9 out of 10 of these players couldn't clear the 3rd round at this year's Wimby. Yet, it appears that there are a few players (mostly men) that can certifiably pack houses by their participation at smaller events and they are Roger, Rafael and Serena. Roger clearly is both Tours best draw, regardless of event, Rafael packed houses after he returned from injury throughout South America, playing their 250k/500k events and continues to do so ere IW, and Serena sold out the 2013 Bastad event, winning the title and sold out the 2016 Auckland for the lst time "ever" over the men's event, when she played there 2 years ago, tho' losing in the lst round under severe windy conditions and cold. Saying this, tho', other men's players drawing well at 250ks are the clownish Gael Monfils, who I've yet to see this wasted talent play ere rows of empty seats at any level of event, Stan the Man, as well as Tsonga and Dolgopolov amongst others. However, this is likely a carryover from an outstanding era of men's tennis over the past 13-15 years or so, led by the Big 4. How this plays out after these guys (most now in their 30's) retire remains to be seen, for what's coming up after them led by Nick, Thiem and Alex Z. is not on their level and to me appears not to be much, but life is continuous.......</i></div><div><i>
</i></div><div><i> I don't think this prize money increase for the Slams is going to last, for I don't believe the players coming up after the retirements of the men's big 4 and their peers in addition to Serena will hold the same level of interest and quality of play. This USO's increase is no doubt prompted by the return of the men's big 4, capped off by Novak winning Wimby, Roger the AO, Rafael the French, Serena returning after childbirth and having a significant chance to tie Margaret after reaching the French final and, finally, the opening of the refurbished, "domed" Louis Armstrong court this year, prompting interest to be sky-high. The residual effect of such will have an impact on the AO next year with a likely announcement of their prize money increase, plus the addition of the opening of another court for them, seating 10k, but not domed. Yet, we'll see after the greats of the current game move along what impact it will have on attendance. If it drops, then the prize money will soon follow.......
</i></div><div><i>
</i></div><div><i>Re the grass events, which indeed has expanded (the Brits initiated 3 consecutive ITF 100k women grass events after the French this year, replacing the French's 100k clay events), the issue with such is not about the # of grass events (most in England), but the taxing policy of the Brits, which have eliminated Roger and Rafael and some others, to not play London (the Fever-Tree event) and Eastbourne as warmups to Wimby. Roger plays 2 warmups ere Wimby......"in Germany". Rafael plays elsewhere, usually just one event ere Wimby but not on Brit soil. A 50% tax on prize money earned in England from the jump is absurd, in addition to taxing one's off-court endorsement earnings "world-wide", if one plays, "practices and/or works out" beyond 30 days on English soil. How a branch of gov't can enact and levy such tax on players for events that last essentially a month in a calendar year is unfathomable. England "is not" the epicenter for Tennis. Further, if the ladies had their year-end championships on English soil (some suggested Manchester as a place after Singapore), you'd have the same effect for the ladies' top players, who habitually qualify like Roger, Rafa, Novak, Andy, Stan' and others for the men. They'd skip Nottingham, Birmingham and/or Eastbourne and would opt for Mallorca and/or the Netherlands as warmups for Wimby to avoid the Brit's tax man. </i>
</div>
Last edited by rex on Jul Wed 25, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Tue 24, 2018 3:15 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font> 
Yet, I don't think this increase prize money for the Slams is going to last, for I don't believe the players coming up after the retirements of the men's big 4 and their peers, and Serena will hold the same level of interest and quality of play.
I don't think prize will go down at all. Just the opposite. It will keep going up. US Open, Wimbledon, etc, will keep making huge money despite all the retirements you are talking about; because there will always be great tennis matches.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jul Tue 24, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jul Tue 24, 2018 4:18 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Ace2Ace#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#This remains to be seen once the men's greats and Serena disappear into retirement......#ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Jul Tue 24, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:USO Prize Money for 2018

Post by rex » Jul Tue 24, 2018 9:32 pm

#ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Piggy-backing off the retirement of the greats comment, noted above, Roger has announced that he's not playing the Rogers Cup this year, while Serena has just announced that she will be participating in Montreal. If Serena plays Cincy, as well as San Jose, then she'll have sufficient match prep for NY. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#At this point Rafael, Novak and Andy M. are still on the docket for Toronto.....#ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Roger is winding down......skipping clay events all together and now skipping certain Master Ks...... Retirement at the end of next year, or at the end of this year for the GOAT (my favorite)?#ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Jul Tue 24, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Wed 25, 2018 10:20 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>
 Sampras, Steffi, Agassi, Seles, ... retired. And tennis didn't die. There will always be exciting players rising to the top.
Some fans will check off as their idols retire; new fans will pick up the flag and tennis will still thrive, prize money going up and up and up.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jul Wed 25, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.