ROJAY Weeps, Inconsolable

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
ROJAY Weeps, Inconsolable

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 11, 2018 3:40 pm

"I felt great in practice, good in the warm-up. I'm feeling the ball well," the Swiss said. "It just happened to be that today wasn't the day."

"It's disappointing losing the next two sets after winning the first two and having match points," said Federer.

"I've been there before. I know what kind of energy I need to bring to the fifth. I was able to bring that.

"I didn't feel mental fatigue. Now I feel horribly fatigued and just awful. It's just terrible."

"The losses hurt more, you don't want to be on the loser's side," he said.

"It motivates me to do extremely well here because I don't want to sit here and explain my loss. That's the worst feeling you can have as a tennis player."

“As the match went on, I couldn't surprise him any more. That's a bad feeling to have. It's not like it hasn't happened before. I've been in many, many matches like this... I couldn't come up with enough good stuff for him to miss more. I think that was the key at the end.”

”Today, when I needed it, I couldn't get [my level] up... I didn't see it coming,” admitted Federer. “From that standpoint, I felt great in practice, good in the warm up. I am feeling the ball well. Even now, losing, I still feel like the feeling is there. It just happened to be that today wasn't the day.”

”[It was] just a bad day from my side, except the first set,” said Federer. “After that, I never really felt exactly 100 per cent. That has nothing to do with my opponent. It was just one of those days where you hope to get by somehow. I could have. I should have."

But Federer, who was bidding to win consecutive Wimbledon titles for the first time in since 2007, added that he is not sure how long it may take to get over the surprise loss.

“I don't know how long it's going to take me. It might take me a while or it might take me half an hour. I have no idea what it's going to be.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Wed 11, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:ROJAY Weeps, Inconsolable

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Wed 11, 2018 7:28 pm

#ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl#
... I couldn't come up with enough good stuff for him to miss more. I think that was the key at the end.”
for him to miss or for you to hit winners? You sound like Wozniacki.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
It was] just a bad day from my side, except the first set,” said Federer. “After that, I never really felt exactly 100 per cent. #ed_op#b#ed_cl#That has nothing to do with my opponent#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#.
When Serena says that, the haters call her arrogant. Great players know when they messed up. It's true sometimes it has nothing to do with what the opponent is doing.#ed_op#/span#ed_cl#

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Jul Wed 11, 2018 8:59 pm

yes that can occur - a player can be less than on top of things -#ed_op#br#ed_cl#however imo Kevin came up with some masterful shots today -#ed_op#br#ed_cl#and he never let up - and it did have a lot to do with his opponent rising to the occassion.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#IIRC around 3rd set one of the commentators went as far as to say -#ed_op#br#ed_cl#everyone knows Roger is going to win this today!#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I feel it would have shown good sportmanship - #ed_op#br#ed_cl#had Roger given his opponent some credit for a very good win.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Wed 11, 2018 9:23 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#CrossCourtBH#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl# I didn't watch the match. I believe your observation. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#From the scoreboard, it looked like Anderson was unflappable. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl#

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 12, 2018 9:54 am

at the end of 5th set (at 5-4, 6-5), Roger was up 0-30 several times and made a few stupid errors; he had chances to go to 0-40 or 15-40 (and have match points), but never got there.

This match was - once again - a prime example of why I dislike grass so much. The parts of tennis that I like so much (variation, point construction) hardly matter when you got serve-bots on fire.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Fri 13, 2018 10:06 am

Rojay was actually beaten by his half-compatriot. People forget Rojay's mom is South African and he spent a lot of his youth there, particularly summers.