SERENA'S Big Announcement Tomorrow

All Tennis, All the Time
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SERENA'S Big Announcement Tomorrow

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Serena Williams: Wimbledon seeding decision by All England Club on Tuesday

Seven-time champion Serena Williams will learn if she will be seeded for Wimbledon after a meeting on Tuesday.

The former world number one made her comeback in March after giving birth last year and is 183rd in the rankings.

Williams, 36, was not seeded at the French Open, where an injury curtailed her Grand Slam return before her fourth-round match.

The American believes players returning from pregnancy should have protected seedings as well as protected rankings.

"The seeding order follows the WTA ranking list, except where in the opinion of the committee a change is necessary to produce a balanced draw," the All England Club said last month.

The seeding meeting is due to take place on 26 June.

Wimbledon runs from 2-15 July.

Meanwhile, United States Tennis Association president Katrina Adams has told the New York Times players coming back from pregnancy will be taken into consideration when deciding seedings for the US Open.

"It's the right thing to do for these mothers that are coming back," said Adams.

"We think it's a good message for our current female players and future players. It's OK to go out and be a woman and become a mother and then come back to your job, and I think that's a bigger message."

She added seedings for the tournament would be revised "if pregnancy is a factor in the current rankings of a player".

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Mon 25, 2018 6:02 pm

I am waiting for that before submitting my Skan team.
If Serena is not seeded, that makes it easier to select any ladies to fill my other 2 WTA spots.
Please, don't seed her as long as you give me Serena vs Pova match-up in R1. :) :)

Would love to shutdown all the Pova fans who were saying "Serena was scared of playing Pova in Paris". Serena has beaten the Sugar lady everywhere for the past 14 years... she would have done it again in Paris. She was playing a beautiful, powerful and efficient tennis Pova can only dream of: the serve, the returns; the ground strokes.. all were clicking so well by the 3rd match. 4th match would have been a severe beatdown the Siberian Queen was going to live one more time...
The Sugar lady got lucky... lol lol lol lol ... Muguruza crushing hurt less than being demoralized by the Compton Queen, Princess of Wakanda. :) :)
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Mon 25, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Jun Mon 25, 2018 6:23 pm

In a moment there I thought she gonna quit again.. I still have doubt though.👎🏿

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Tue 26, 2018 5:11 am

In 2017, Azarenka came back from pregnancy and was NOT seeded @ Wimbledon. She had to face the 15th seed in R2.

Only people who advocated for Azarenka to be seeded last year, have a right to comment on this issue. The rest... well, they seem to advocate a "different player - different rules" approach.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 26, 2018 11:12 am

Australian Open champion Caroline Wozniacki has called for 23-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams to be seeded at next month's Wimbledon Championships, ahead of the All England Club's meeting Tuesday.

Williams, a seven-time winner of the Wimbledon Ladies' singles title, could miss out on being named as one of the 32 seeds after she took maternity leave for the birth of her first child. The American, now ranked world No. 181, was unseeded at the French Open.

"She [Serena Williams] is the greatest player to ever play the sport," Denmark's Wozniacki told reporters after her straight-sets victory over Italian Camila Giorgi at the Eastbourne championships Monday.

"Having won so many Grand Slams and being number one for so many years, she deserves a seeding."

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Tue 26, 2018 11:15 am

People make all kinds of noise. But the top players who know what's going on do not want to draw Serena in R1.

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re:SERENA'S Big Announcement Tomorrow

Post by sekasi » Jun Tue 26, 2018 11:16 am

What’s the big deal? Leave her unseeded. What about the other girl who has worked so hard to be seeded only to get bumped because Serena decided to have a baby? This seems like a PR thing for these events now. Yawn.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Tue 26, 2018 11:51 am

Serena doesn't need to be seeded. It's the top 32 players that have a problem with it. :) :)
You lose in R1, you collect $40,000.
You lose in R2, you double that amount. It makes a huge difference not to face Serena in R1. Because that's almost a certain elimination... like 99%. And no one wants to be in that situation. Ask Kr. Pliskova hitting 15 aces and bunch of winners but still losing to Serena's 13 aces.

Wozniacki would rather face Sachia Vickery in R1 than Serena Williams. Makes sense to me.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Tue 26, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Jun Tue 26, 2018 12:42 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>
lol, wait did you just say Sascha Vickery ? On a serious note, I thought Vickery had started winning matches.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Tue 26, 2018 12:45 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>sekasi</b>:</font>
yes... but still. Rather face her than Serena in R1. :) 
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Tue 26, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.