Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 05, 2018 9:45 am

If he can hold his nerves...

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 05, 2018 9:54 am

Earlier today....

Belgium has detained 13 people in a probe into allegations of match-fixing in lower-level professional tennis.

Prosecutors said a Belgian-Armenian ring has been bribing players since 2014, with criminals winning bets on the fixed results.

Professionals competing in lower-level tournaments were easier to bribe, prosecutors said.

The investigation follows a report in April complaining of a "tsunami" of corruption in the sport.

An Independent Review Panel (IRP) looked into the integrity of professional tennis after a joint Buzzfeed and BBC News investigation found suspected illegal betting.

Belgian authorities cooperated with Bulgarian, Dutch, French, German, Slovakian and US counterparts in mounting simultaneous raids on Tuesday.

Twenty-one properties in Belgium were searched, with 13 people held on suspicion of match-fixing, corruption, money laundering and participation in organised criminal activities.

According to a report in Belgian newspaper Le Soir (in French), the matches in question took place on the International Tennis Federation (ITF) Futures circuit and the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Challenger tour.

A judge will decide whether those held will be formally arrested, prosecutors said.

In response to the IRP report in April, the governing bodies of professional tennis - the ATP, WTA, ITF and Grand Slam Board - said they recognised "vulnerabilities" in the sport, particularly at lower levels.

They also said they were "committed to seizing the opportunity to address these concerns through firm and decisive action".

They are yet to comment on the Belgian raids.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:08 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Ace2Ace#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#Meldonium? in the FIRST set???#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#Nope, it helped to stay fit in long matches... it does not help when you play like crap in the first set :-)#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:11 am

Sloane wins the first set 6-3.

This was - for me - by far the best set of tennis that I saw at RG this year.
I would root for Sloane against anyone if she plays like this (but not if it is against Kasatkina);

And it is not that Daryza palys bad: she got a lot of opportunities; gets to 30-30 or deuce in virtually every Sloane-service game. Both play really well, but sloane atm a bit better.

Kasatkina got back on serve 3-4, lead 40-0, and 10 minutes later gets broken anyway. That was the key game in this set.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:23 am

Sloane got the break in set #2... again, Darya had her chances in Sloane's first service game (deuce twice), but Sloane is at her best.

If Sloane wins this, I will be annoyed with her for 5 minutes, and after that, I support her until MP in the final on saturday.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:24 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

You're such a good person. Me, no. I hold grudges for...well, forever.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:34 am

Is it Sloanie versus Keys? Yikes. Snooze fest.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:35 am

Wow. Novak....

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:41 am

WHAT.... A... GREAT.... PERFORMANCE.... FROM.... SLOANE.....

Darya played more than decent, but Sloane outclassed her in every part of the game: better serve, great point construction, amazing defense, perfect switch to offense when the opportunity was there, used the whole court...

Darya tried e-ve-ry shot, and Sloane dealt with it without a problem.

Please, let this woman win RG: this is what I want to see on clay. USA has the best clay-courter atm, and it is this young lady.

Defends like Clijsters, but plays like a real clay-courter (dare I say like Henin?)

Having said that: I think that Kasatkina would have beaten most of the other QFs today.... but not Sloane.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Tue 05, 2018 10:44 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#I like tennis, not so much players. If someone whose tennis I like, gets beaten by a player who plays the tennis that I like, then I have no problems with praising that player. I actually was not even annoyed for a minute: Sloane and Kastkina gave me the best match of the clay-season (personal opinion). #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#And in a few years, Darya will be where Sloane is today.... well, hopefully with an improved serve because that was the obvious weakness today. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl#