Post by rex » May Tue 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Halep v Osaka.......4 a.m. start here in the Midwest......smh. :cry:

Nevertheless, lotsa good matches on the docket, ladies and gents:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scores/c ... y-schedule

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Tue 15, 2018 3:29 pm

Halep in danger. But Osaka is still fairly new at performing at high level match after match. The way she couldn't find a serve against Svitolina in Miami after totally demolishing Serena leaves me perplex.

Which Osaka will show up? Is Halep ready for the challenge? Big match. Too bad it's at 4 AM.
I'll be looking for some highlights unless another rain can delay it for 2, 3 hours.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on May Tue 15, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:Rome Wednesday.....'18

Post by rex » May Wed 16, 2018 5:12 am

Naomi disappears against Simona today, who avenged her loss to her at IW in "decisive" fashion, serving her bread in both sets, 6-1 6-0. Woke up for a performance like this.......smh.

No way, Ace, is Naomi winning the French.....

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » May Wed 16, 2018 6:34 am

Easy win by Kasatkina vs Collins: 6-2 6-3. Only saw the second set; decent performance. Especially in the end, because se was 30-0 down at 5-3, so one could expect her to let that game go ans serve the match out (as her pervious service game was a love-game-, but no: she came back to deuce and only needed one MP.

Next round: Kasatkina vs Svitolina.
The good news is that one of my faves will be in the QF
The bad news is that one will be losing in R16.

And I see that Sloane won her R2 too.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 16, 2018 6:50 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#rex#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# Never picked her to win the French. She is too inconsistent: she can play one great match and totally collapse in the next.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 16, 2018 6:53 am

Collins's gone? Oh well, she is no European. We are not good on that dirt.. Only a few selected can play on it.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Wed 16, 2018 10:09 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Re Naomi, I agree, but it's not the consistency but her game limitations. She's content to being just a one-dimensional baseliner with a sometimey serve. If she can outhit you from the baseline, she'll likely prevail. On the other hand if an opponent has just as much power with an expanded game beyond the baseline, she'll lose, for she doesn't have a clue about point construction, in addition to her net game being practically non-existent. She blew every opportunity she had at the net by blowing simple volleys, netting all of them (about 5). An embarrassing performance ere a packed house (people standing beyond the stands) to lose with that type of score line, especially against a player who just camps on the baseline herself in Simona, for Simona doesn't do a thing else as well but fire from same.

Sascha had just one OCC with Naomi and that was in the lst set. She was down 4-1 and she was about to cry, but he told her don't cry and that she was playing well (the lst 5 games were closely contested (tie breaks the norm) and asked her to come forward "again" (as he's done on other occasions) to press the matter, but all Naomi said was that she doesn't have any winners, which buttresses my point in that if she can't dictate her game by hitting winners, then she's lost, for she doesn't know how to contest and play the court by point constructing, moving her opponent to create opportunities for herself. If she can't hit through and by you, then she's lost as to what else to do in addition to not having net skills, using the approach shot and following up to the net on a deep return. Amazing she won IW with such game limitations.

I wish there was a young player on Tour that had the skill set, talent and weapons of a young Venus, but with much better court discipline. That player is not evident amongst today's youngsters.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Wed 16, 2018 10:50 am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bo1IghwzWnc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Wed 16, 2018 10:58 am

Focus Vee. Elena will go for broke now in the 2nd as she's got nothing to lose now that you've snagged the 1st set 6-2.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » May Wed 16, 2018 11:24 am

Lol @ Osaka and Collins both Ace’s angels ... next bee .