PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

IW WTA Main Draw

All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Thu 15, 2018 5:16 pm

My beef with her and Sloane is that they rely too much on defense and very little on offense although they have the tools to attack.
As I said last year during these discussions, Kasatkina will be dangerous once she started playing attacking tennis.
I have not seen this match so not sure whether she was attacking Kerber or not. But that could explain this serious beat down.
Great result !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Thu 15, 2018 5:18 pm

found it. it's not English but ..

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/15DkkYH1KBw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Thu 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Well, you always have to wait until they become the hunted to know what they're made of. Can they produce when everybody, including the media, will criticize them if they lose.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Mar Thu 15, 2018 6:13 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

I genuinely cannot understand how one can/could have “beef” with a player who is clearly still in full development. You have to judge youngsters by their potential.
The aggresive style that you prefer is probably an element that takes most time to develop before it can be executed successfully on a regular basis.

I said so often that Kasatkina could play aggressive, but that she needed time to develop that part of her game. And that is what happening now. I never, however, called her a pusher because she still was/is work-in-progress.
Last edited by Graveller on Mar Thu 15, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Thu 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Alright.. Just watched it, skipping the commercial so it was quick.
I saw a typical Kerber vs Kasatkina match. Nothing special. I dozed off a couple of times... :) I think the crowd was falling asleep too. Kasatkina was getting her balls in. Kerber was missing hers. That's about it. If this was a best of 3, Kerber would probably win the next match playing the same game.

I don't think either of them would have beaten Osaka today with that game.
Watching the scoreboard earlier, I thought Kasat was knocking the shittttt out of Kerber.. But no.. they just exchanged their usual slow ground strokes, and Kerber just couldn't find the court.

Congratulation to the young Russian. She did what she had to do. Top-10 is very very near.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Thu 15, 2018 6:22 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Graveller#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl#
The aggresive style that you prefer is probably an element that takes most time to develop before it can be executed successfully on a regular basis.
ah we posted at the same time... :)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Yeah... Maybe I just don't have the patience.. .. I get excited watching bombs flying across the net. lol. The long rallies with soft spinning balls put me to sleep. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#But Kasatkina is capable of knocking those girls off the court. There are many girls who don't have that option. They can only push.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Thu 15, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Thu 15, 2018 6:38 pm

In my opinion, it's hard to play attacking tennis once one gets too comfortable with the defensive game. That's why I believe coaches have to change the players mentality earlier. Look at Wozniacki. With Sasha Bajin, she started going for her shots. But that's too much to ask. She was making progress though.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Sasha's gone. A few months later, she's back pushing and guiding her shots. That's what she is comfortable with.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Thu 15, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Thu 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Halep S.[1] vs Osaka N.

--------- Bottom Half ---------

Williams V.[8] vs Kasatkina D.[20]

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:IW WTA Main Draw

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Thu 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Semi Final preview&nbsp; (again, no 50/50 .. got to make a pick)#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#Halep S.[1] vs Osaka N. #ed_op#/b#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#This new Osaka is willing to stay in the points, even if it takes 20 shots. But surely, she is not staying that long in any rally. Because the first good opportunity she gets, she strikes. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Her serve and ground strokes are huge for her age. Her defense is impressive. She doesn't give up on any point easily.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Halep will have a hard time containing this hungry youngster. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#But we've seen the Romanian little Diamond recover twice in a row in her last 2 matches, rising to the occasion, finding a way to get back in the match and prevail .#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Against Osaka, I don't think she will get away with any passive moment, because this Osaka is consistently but safely hunting for sitters from start to finish. Halep won't even see some of the points end brutally. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#Prediction: Osaka#ed_op#/b#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#Williams V.[8] vs Kasatkina D.[20]#ed_op#/b#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#The young Russian is playing clean, counter-punching tennis. It's nice to watch these youngsters mature right in front of our eyes. But I am afraid her cat-n-mouse game won't be enough against a veteran Venus, full of energy and playing a clean power game. Venus' serves are huge. The ground strokes are big when she is well behind the ball. And when she is out of position, she's got a safe topspin stroke to keep the ball landing in between the lines. Venus is playing a very smart, patient, power game here. I don't see Kasatkina overcoming that.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#Prediction: Venus.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/b#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Fri 16, 2018 10:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:IW WTA Main Draw

Post by rex » Mar Fri 16, 2018 9:47 am

Tonights temps for the women's semis is low 50's. Why would IW schedule such matches in the evening? It's just low 60's for today's mens quarters at high noon.