CONGRATS To WOZ: GS Champ, World New No. 1, Queen Of Tennis

All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Thu 25, 2018 4:14 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Pyotr</b>:</font>
 Are you cousins or something? :) :) :)
If yes, sorry but your cousin annoys me to death during OCC. :)

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:28 pm

@Ace2Ace

I do have Polish heritage on my mother's side, but no relation.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Thu 25, 2018 7:13 pm

That good... because I can't stand that dude. :)

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Jan Fri 26, 2018 5:34 am

This a fraud match. Non Slam wonder should never meet in the finals. Total fraud.

BJM123
Junior
Junior

Re:CONGRATS To WOZ: GS Champ, World New No. 1, Queen Of Tenn

Post by BJM123 » Jan Fri 26, 2018 8:56 am

I like both of these ladies and to be honest with you, I can't pick who I'd like to see win but based on form, I'd give the slight edge to Wozniacki. She's been playing more aggressive lately and she won the year end championship last year against Venus. But Halep is not to be underestimated and if she's smart, she'll turn this into a physical match but for right now, Wozzy has the slight edge

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:24 am

Australian Open: Simona Halep & Caroline Wozniacki battle for first Grand Slam

The final pits two of the best players never to have won a Grand Slam against each other, with a major title on the line.

Both women have endured the questions that surround players who top the rankings without winning one of the sport's four biggest titles.

Halep, who became number one last October, has twice finished runner-up at the French Open, most painfully when she led the unseeded Jelena Ostapenko by a set and 3-0 in last year's final.

"I was in this position at the French Open, so maybe I can make a better match," said Halep.

"I can just make it more relaxed and take it like a normal match."

Wozniacki was the year-end number one in both 2010 and 2011, but finished runner-up at the US Open to Kim Clijsters in 2009 and Serena Williams in 2014.

Perhaps her toughest defeat to take, however, was the Australian Open semi-final in 2011, when she held match points but eventually lost to China's Li Na.

"That's the one that's been most disappointing to me throughout my career," she said.

"I've had many bad losses, many great wins. That's one of the ones that hurt extra because it was going into the final of a Grand Slam.

"I felt like I was playing better on the day. I felt like it was my time to get there. I feel I'm more aggressive."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/42830035
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:07 am

This might be a curse because he's been wrong so often, but anyway....

Caroline Wozniacki and Simona Halep are each seeking an elusive Grand Slam singles title. (AP)

That the No. 1 and No. 2 women’s seeds would survive into the finals was a long shot at the start of the Australian Open; it’s not a regular occurrence on either tour. That they both had to save match points to get there—in Halep’s case, two times—makes this match feel like a minor miracle.

But it will be a major, winner-take-all battle. For Halep and Wozniacki, this may be the best chance they will ever have to tear the dreaded “Slamless No. 1” label off their backs. And speaking of No. 1, the winner of this match will also own that ranking on Monday. Halep is 26 and Wozniacki a sneaky-young 27, but a victory for either of them will be a career-changing experience.

So who will get to have that experience? Based on their head to head record, Wozniacki is the favorite. She leads Halep 4-2, she has won their last three meetings, and in their most recent match, at the WTA Finals last October in Singapore, she won 6-0, 6-2. Wozniacki hasn’t quite reached those Singaporean heights in Melbourne, but she has been more aggressive than usual, and she has responded well to each mid-match challenge from her opponents. Coming back from 1-5 down in the third set, as Wozniacki did in the second round, tends to make you feel confident that you can come back again.

If that’s true of Wozniacki, though, it should be doubly true for Halep, who saved three match points against Lauren Davis and two more against Angelique Kerber. In her losses to Wozniacki in the past, Halep hasn’t been able to power through the Dane’s carefully constructed defenses for long enough. But she was able to do that against Kerber. Over the last five games of their classic semifinal, Halep, playing with controlled fury after squandering match points of her own, found the perfect balance between aggression and margin. Can she find that balance again, without needing the fury to go with it? The answer should determine which of these women finally becomes a Slam-winning No. 1.

Winner: Wozniacki

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/01/ ... iew/71704/
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:10 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:48 am

didn't these guys pick Kerber over Halep?
They kip ignoring Halep and she keeps proving them wrong. She'll do it one more time.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:51 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Kerber had MPs though so they weren't too far off. I'd say they deserve a pass on that one.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:53 am

having mp is not victory. Lauren Davis had MP too. And Wozz faced MP against I don't even remember who.
The winner is the one that wins the last point, not the one that gets Match Point.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.