COUPLE: Maria, Nadal

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
COUPLE: Maria, Nadal

Post by Grossefavourite » May Wed 16, 2018 8:54 am

‘You’re not asking him out on date’: Maria Sharapova was told before hitting with Rafael Nadal

A couple of days back, Maria Sharapova made the headlines for practicing with Rafael Nadal on the clay courts of Rome as she labelled the Spanish ace the greatest of all time.

The Russian tennis star, however, has revealed that she was nervous to approach Nadal when she saw him grinding it out on the court.

“I saw he was practising on the court right before me,” Sharapova was quoted as saying by AFP.

“And I said to my team ‘wouldn’t it be amazing if I just came up to Rafa and said ‘would you hit a couple balls with me?’”

Even as Sharapova was skeptical, her entourage had a point – she wasn’t asking him out on a date, after all!

“And they’re like, yeah, what’s wrong with that? And I was like, a lot of things. There’s a lot of things wrong with just coming up to Rafa.

“They’re like, no, you should. It’s not like you’re asking him to go on a date. And so I did.

“He probably thought I was really weird. I think he still thinks I’m really weird.”

Meanwhile, Sharapova has already made it to the second round, thanks to a hard-fought 7-5 3-6 6-2 win over Australia’s Ashleigh Barty on Tuesday.