Tournaments this week

SANDGREN, Far-Right Sympathiser

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SANDGREN, Far-Right Sympathiser

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 22, 2018 11:39 am

American tennis player Tennys Sandgren denied he was a far-right sympathiser as he was questioned about his beliefs after reaching the Australian Open quarter-finals.

The world number 97 was speaking after a dramatic five-set victory over fifth seed Dominic Thiem at Melbourne Park on Monday.

Sandgren, 26, was asked about his social media presence, specifically his activity around the postings of 'alt-right' figures in the United States.

Earlier this month, a video posted by Nicholas Fuentes - who says he attended a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville - was retweeted on Sandgren's Twitter account.

"Who you follow on Twitter, I feel, doesn't matter even a little bit," said Sandgren.

"What information you see doesn't dictate what you think or believe. I think it's crazy to think that. I think it's crazy to assume that.

"To say: 'Well, he's following X person, so he believes all the things that this person believes'... I think that's ridiculous."

Sandgren had never won a match at a Grand Slam before this year's Australian Open, and is only the second man in the past 20 years to reach a quarter-final on his debut in Melbourne.

He beat Thiem 6-2 4-6 7-6 (7-4) 6-7 (7-9) 6-3 in three hours and 55 minutes, and will face South Korea's Chung Hyeon for a place in the semi-finals.

Sandgren was coached and home-schooled by his South Africa-born mother until he went to college, and "butted heads" with her for years as a "feisty" and "more negative version" of his current self.

Asked by reporters if he supported some of the alt-right movement, he said: "No, I don't. I find some of the content interesting.

"But no, I don't, not at all. As a firm Christian, I don't support things like that. I support Christ and following Him. That's what I support."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/42776652
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BJM123
Junior
Junior

Re:SANDGREN, Far-Right Sympathiser

Post by BJM123 » Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Well if you really supported Jesus Christ then he would know that such things as the alternative right are not interesting at all. This is just another excuse for him to say that he's not possibly a member of the KKK. I was rooting for him but now I hope he loses each and every match. You all wonder why I have such strong views about white men well this is the reason why.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:10 pm

I wonder how he views MAGA with respect to tennis?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:12 pm

MAGA fans will be watching and attending his matches now. Imagine the atmosphere if he faces players of color.

BJM123
Junior
Junior

Post by BJM123 » Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Exactly my point. This is why a lot of people do not trust white men

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Now you know the media is now digging into his social media footprint for evidence.

BJM123
Junior
Junior

Post by BJM123 » Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:43 pm

The only evidence is already out there: he finds some of the alt-right stuff "interesting" he's a supposed "Christian" and he's a white boy. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck then it must be a duck. Stay tuned folks, Venus should be giving him a call any moment now....

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:50 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>BJM123</b>:</font>

They're looking for evidence it's not just a passing interest.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Mon 22, 2018 1:07 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>BJM123</b>:</font>

No one believes that you were supporting for white meat in the previous rounds.

We already know your opinion on Caucasian men that have a relationship with darker-skinned women and that opinion is as worse as alt-right.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

BJM123
Junior
Junior

Post by BJM123 » Jan Mon 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Again, the evidence is in his "following" of the alt-right. If they are looking for ties then that will be tougher to prove but I do think that he's an undercover bigot