PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Aussie Open Draw - Ladies

All Tennis, All the Time
Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Tbh, the thought of a young Belgian able to compete in the final round of major events is unexpected but nice. Seeing how she develops in the next years will be interesting to follow.

Looking forward to the R16 matches of the top half.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:39 pm

I have been watching this Mertens girl since Hobbart.
I like her chances here. I wouldn't be surprised if she makes the final. She has the game to compete with the players currently in the bottom half.
Would be wonderful to see her in the Final. I like her game. Specially when facing break points, she doesn't panic, but comes up with well calibrated serves instead of double faulting. It's a nice thing to see in a player.

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:Aussie Open Draw - Ladies

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Jan Sun 21, 2018 3:46 pm

I've also been watching Mertens closely since Hopman Cup. She's a very good player. She competes well and does everything well. She's solid. She will put in a good performance against Svitolina, I don't expect her to beat herself.

I remember last year when she systemically dismantled an experience and talented Russian Fed Cup team to my utter surprise.

I think Wozniacki will be just a bit too solid for Carla, but that will be a close match and I wouldn't be surprised if we see an upset.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Sun 21, 2018 3:49 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Her mom says that she i a fighter by nature because she was born two months too early...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sun 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Kerber down a set. Purple patch fading? New form a false dawn?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Aussie Open Draw - Ladies

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Mon 22, 2018 1:41 am

<b>Top Half:</b>

[1] Halep vs  [6] Ka.Pliskova
[21] Kerber] vs [17] Keys

<b>Bottom Half:</b>

Mertens vs [4] Svitolina
Suarez Navarro vs [2] Wozniacki
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jan Mon 22, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Mon 22, 2018 4:06 am

Winner of Keys vs Kerber will be top10 next week...#ed_op#br#ed_cl#(unless Mertens beat Strycova in the final....)#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Pliskova will be #1 if she wins the AO, unless Wozniacki is the losing finalist (who will be #1 in that case).#ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Svitolina will be #1 if she wins the AO, unless Halep is the losing finalist (who will be #1 in that case).#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Halep will be #1 if she reaches the AO Final, unless Wozniacki is the winner (who will be #1 in that case).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Halep and Wozniacki are #1 if they win the AO...#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#So Simona and Caroline W. are the only ones who do not have to count on other results in order to become/remain the #1.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Graveller on Jan Mon 22, 2018 4:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Mon 22, 2018 8:41 am

One of the best last-8 in recent years:#ed_op#br#ed_cl#the quarter final includes:#ed_op#br#ed_cl#a) four players that will be in the top 5 in next week's ranking, including the top3#ed_op#br#ed_cl#b) three other players that were top10 at some point, including a former #1 and multi-slam winner (Kerber) , and another one that reached the final of the previous HC slam (Keys). #ed_op#br#ed_cl#c) a young player (Mertens), but not a random one given the fact that she won (and defended at the same time) a title in the warm-up week prior to this slam.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Unlike many other slams in the recent past, the top players deliver...
Last edited by Graveller on Jan Mon 22, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Mon 22, 2018 10:24 am

Top Half:

[1] Halep vs [6] Ka.Pliskova
[21] Kerber] vs [17] Keys

Bottom Half:

Mertens vs [4] Svitolina
Suarez Navarro vs [2] Wozniacki

My pick for this Aussie winner:
Halep, Pliskova, Keys or Mertens.

No Kerber, Svitolina or Wozniacki. Please NOOOOO. :)
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jan Mon 22, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 22, 2018 10:49 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Be fair, Woz has put the work and miles and results in to deserve at least one GS.