Green Clay, Red Clay
Bring it on !!!

login with facebook
   LIVE Scores     LIVE-Chat     Skan Contest     Prediction Game      Drive2Final Game    Top-10 Game     History     World Clock 
 Latest topics  	                     The Main Forum           	       
 2018 year of Maria Shara...(101) Ace2Ace  WOW! Brengle Sues WTA &am...(14) Pyotr  WTA Monterrey draw and re...(13) Ace2Ace
 ATP Monte Carlo (5) Graveller  VENUS, Please Destroy Ree...(39) Ace2Ace  Overview of '18-WTA-PGame...(12) Pyotr
 Nadal teases Federer for ...(5) Pyotr  Casey Dellacqua Retires (2) Grossefavou  Overview of '18-ATP-PGame...(6) Graveller
 A few good men (1) Ace2Ace  Maria still 2018 (24) Ace2Ace  Miami: Sloane is the Cham...(12) Graveller
 2018 PredictionGame (19) Graveller  2018 Charleston draw and ...(40) Ace2Ace  Félix Auger-Aliassime (2) Graveller
more recent topics... 

tennisgamers.com Forum Index » WTA General Tennis Discussions » WTA Sydney Draw and Results Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Posted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 9:53 pm       WTA Sydney Draw and Results
Ace2Ace
Site Admin

Joined14 Sep 2004
Posts21530

[1-WC] Garbine Muguruza v Bye
[Q] v Kiki Bertens
Daria Gavrilova v [WC] Olivia Rogowska
[WC] Samantha Stosur v [7] Julia Goerges

[3] Jelena Ostapenko v Ekaterina Makarova
Daria Kasatkina v Barbora Strycova
Ashleigh Barty v [Q]
[WC] Ellen Perez v [5] Kristina Mladenovic

------------ Bottom Half ----------

[6] Sloane Stephens v [Q]
Mirjana Lucic-Baroni v Petra Kvitova
[Q] v Magdalena Rybarikova
Agnieszka Radwanska v [4] Johanna Konta

[8] Anastasija Sevastova v Dominika Cibulkova
Elena Vesnina v Shuai Peng
Lucie Safarova v Angelique Kerber
Bye v [2] Venus Williams

Posted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 11:04 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

This event starts at a GS quarterfinal round.

Posted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 5:44 am       
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12219
LocationAntwerp - Belgium

R2 could have some great line-ups:
Kerber vs Venus
Ostapenko vs Kasatkina
Stephens vs Kvitova
Barty vs Mladenovic (if the latter decides to show up after being MIA for half a year)

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"
Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 10:17 am       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

Osta defeated. She's played a lot, I think, and in various parts of the world in short notice.

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 11:37 am       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

Expect a rash of 'losses" and withdrawals because the heat is unbearable.

(CNN)Sydney endured its hottest temperature in nearly 80 years on Sunday, Australian meteorologists say.

The mercury rose to 47.3 degrees Celsius, or 117.14 Fahrenheit, in the Sydney metropolitan area.
The hottest temperature ever recorded in the area was 47.8 Celsius degrees (118.04 Fahrenheit) in 1939, the Bureau of Meteorology for the state of New South Wales (NSW) said.
The agency had predicted that temperatures would soar, tweeting: "Are we forecasting all time record high temperatures today? No, but it would not surprise if some stations go close."

So, while brutally cold temperatures hit the US, emergency services in Sydney prepared residents on the other side of the equator for dangers of a different sort.

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 1:43 pm       
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12219

Weather events like this were predicted in the 90'ties....

A weaker jetstream was predicted by climate change models at the time, allowing arctic air to get more south in the winter (and tropical, hot air more north in the summer)...

I guess that the US starts to find out what that means. Get used to it, because there is absolutely nothing we can do about that it anymore to make it better. The status-quo (if we ever reach that in 30-40 years) will even be far worse than this.

ps: don't blame Trump but the two Bushes (and every Republican since the 80'ties denying human impact on climate). But having someone in the WH refusing to put a halt on the processes that caused it, won't help of course.

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 1:48 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

First victim, Kristina M.

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 1:50 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

Julia Gorges also withdrew from the tournament Sunday after winning the ASB Classic final against Caroline Wozniacki in Auckland, New Zealand.

The conditions forced organizers to activate heat policies — including longer breaks between sets — during part of the day, with some areas of western Sydney experiencing the hottest day in almost 80 years with temperatures peaking above 47 Celsius (117 Fahrenheit).

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 2:00 pm       
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12219

So she rather plays for the first time in the heat during a slam...

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 3:39 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

Wise of Serena to have withdrawn. Pretty sure she's nowhere near ready for this heat. Venus too, with her autoimmune issues. Plus, I recall Dementia once saying that the tour knows Venus hates playing in the heat so they just try to keep her out there as long as possible so she hands them the match.

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 5:16 pm       
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12219

Kerber vs Safarova; hoping to see Kerber advance as I would like to see Venus vs Kerber in R2: that will show who is reday for the AO.
Kerber was impressive in the Hopman Cup, but Venus is another cup of tea.

Also wondering what Kasatkina will do in a few hours time. Strycova is not an easy R1 opponent, and I need some 1997-wins in 2018.
Ostapenko is failing big time, and so is/was Osaka... and Bencic not in a WTA MD prior to the AO (her Hopman Cup was pretty OK though)

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 5:35 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

@ Graveller:
 Venus hasn't played in awhile and its sweltering with AO right around the corner. I wouldn't hold my breath that she 1) plays or ) 2 plays well. If they meet, I give Vee 10% chance of "winning". Angie is warmed up and it's only gonna get hotter, so to speak.

Posted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 5:56 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

LOL. Venus throwing trees at Sanchez Vicario. I know the WS doen't like her and the feelings are mutual. I recall Serena saying just recently that her worse loss of her career was against Sanchez Vicario. What are the odds!!!

Venus Williams will warm up for the Australian Open at the Sydney International, playing singles at the event for the first time in 19 years.

But it seems she's forgotten about the last time she played the tournament.

It's been almost 20 years since the seven-time Grand Slam champion became runner-up to Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario in the 1998 women’s singles final.

During a press conference held at Bondi Surf Life Saving Club, Williams needed a bit of a reminder that it ever happened.

The World Number 5 was speaking at the event where the draw was announced.

"Did you say I was in a final here?" she asked the Sydney International tournament director Lawrence Robertson after he introduced her.

He gave her a quick reminder.

"Oh... I forgot about that. Back in the day. Twenty years ago apparently I came close to winning," she said.

Posted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 1:36 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

So sad for Sloanie!!

U.S. Open champion Sloane Stephens lost her first match of the year, beaten 6-3, 6-0 by Italian qualifier Camila Giorgi and is short of match practice ahead of the Australian Open which starts in Melbourne next week.

Posted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 1:42 pm       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4402

Tough, tough match for Venus

SYDNEY (AP) — Former No. 1-ranked Angelique Kerber needed to save two match points before fending off Lucie Safarova 6-7 (3), 7-6 (Cool, 6-2 on Monday to set up a second-round match against Venus Williams.

Kerber, coming off a run to the Hopman Cup final in Perth, overcame two rain delays and a tricky second-set tiebreaker to extend her streak to five straight singles wins. Second-seeded Venus Williams had a bye in the first round.

Page 1 of 2  Goto page 1, 2  Next    
PredictionGame
Current Tournaments:
Enter Your Scores Here

ATP Monte Carlo

Show Latest 120 Topics                      Show Latest 120 Topics

Google