All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
HYPOCRITICAL, Pennetta, On MARIA?

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Mon 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Flavia Pennetta: 'If you fail anti-doping tests, you're out'

Interviewed by La Stampa newspaper, Flavia Pennetta commented on two recent doping bans: those of Sara Errani and Maria Sharapova.

About the Italian, who is said to have ingested Letrozole after eating tortellini, Pennetta said that she didn't believe her countrywoman could be involved in such an illegal activity. She said, 'I know her well.

She works incredibly hard. She didn't dope' As for Sharapova, she had some strong words: 'Meldonium enhances performances and the fact that she didn't get the maximum ban makes you think. But women's tennis needs her.' How reliable are the anti-doping measures in tennis? 'We get tested a lot: blood and urine, and even blood passport.

When I retired, I didn't leave the programme straightaway and for six months I got tested several times. If you test positive, you are out, but then if you are a big name they find a subterfuge.' She also commented on Fabio Fognini's conditional ban due to what happened at the US Open, when during a match he insulted a female chair umpire.

'They exaggerated. I am strictly with him, but saying he is sexist, it's too much.' Did she ever face sexual harassment? 'Nope, luckily. Otherwise I would have reported it. But I remember bad situations.

At 17, I was playing in Dubai and the sheikhs invited my 20-year-old fellow players to hang out and have dinner. It was a sick situation. Now it seems to me younger girls are more aware.'