Tournaments this week

Halep makes history: World #1

All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Halep makes history: World #1

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 6:39 am

#ed_op#img src="http://www.wtatennis.com/sites/default/ ... alep_4.jpg" height="267" width="736"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Romania's Simona Halep becomes the 25th player in history of the WTA, and first from her country, to rise to the No.1 ranking.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#h2 class="storyfull__teaser"#ed_cl#Simona Halep will finally become world number one on Monday after reaching the final of the China Open.#ed_op#/h2#ed_cl##ed_op#p class="storyfull__paragraph"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# The Romanian has missed out on the chance to top the rankings on two occasions this year, but it was third time lucky as she beat Jelena Ostapenko 6-2 6-4 in the semi-final in Beijing.#ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p class="storyfull__paragraph"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# Halep will dethrone Garbine #ed_op#a class="autolink" href="http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/garbine ... l#Muguruza #ed_op#/a#ed_cl#when the new rankings are released next week and becomes the third woman to take top spot since the middle of July following short spells for the Spaniard and Karolina Pliskova. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p class="storyfull__paragraph"#ed_cl#Halep would have had the honour in June had she beaten Ostapenko in the French Open final, but the Latvian sprung a surprise at Roland Garros. #ed_op#br#ed_cl# She got her revenge here, though, taking advantage of Ostapenko's weak second serve with two breaks in the first set.#ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#/p#ed_cl#Halep might have had a sense of deja vu when she found herself a set and a break up as that was the position of the French Open final when Ostapenko started a brilliant comeback and she threatened it again, as the Latvian rallied to lead the second set 4-3.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#But Halep steeled herself and reeled off three successive games to become the 25th player in the history of the WTA rankings to sit at top spot.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#img src="https://i.imgur.com/nmXzuhL.jpg" height="232" width="638"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Oct Sat 07, 2017 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:17 am

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rRlQOaSChzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 9:48 am

"Love me some Halep!!!!" So proud of my girl. It doesn't matter whether she is ranked #1, #2 or #149, I will always be in her corner.
I was not sure I wanted to see to her become #1 without winning a slam or the YEC. I was mostly worried about the ridicule from the haters. But I don't care anymore. I am glad she beat Ostapenko and took a title she should have taken a few months ago. It doesn't matter whether she ever wins a slam, she got to #1 by winning, beating the best. She got to the #1 by finally ending the Sharapova filibuster and avenging her loss to Ostapenko.. That's quite a statement !!!

Congratulation to one of the nicest girl on tour; a girl with character, refusing to tank against Ivanovic despite her coach's advice, and fired him afterwards. The girl got value... she got morale... she got game !!!! That's my girl, Simona Halep, world #1.

Even is she loses badly to Garcia tomorrow, who wouldn't lose to the game Garcia is playing right now? I don't care.
Haters can go to hell !

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Halep makes history: World #1

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:20 pm

There's no history making bs here .. she's another overhyped slamless number one w/ their Queen woz

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Sun 08, 2017 7:19 am

And proceeds to lose her very next important match in straight sets. History making?
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Oct Sun 08, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Oct Sun 08, 2017 9:36 am

I don't think I've ever seen a season in which there were 5 different number 1s, but to me it diminishes the importance of it. When players are number 1 for like a month, then it doesnt mean much and further adds to the notion that number 1 fades and grand slams are forever. The runs of Pliskova and Muguruza (Halep TBD, less Muguruza because she won a slam to get there), make me have more respect for Wozniacki. She at least dominated as number 1 finishing the season twice there.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sun 08, 2017 10:53 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;
And proceeds to lose her very next important match in straight sets. History making?
Garcia was difficult to beat this week, even for the World #1. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Halep served well.. Both players defended their services games well. This was not their best performance in Beijing, but the did put up a great fight.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl# Halep made 2 UEs back to back at the end of the tiebreak, and that made the difference. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##1 do lose matches. Her haters wanted her to lose to Ostapenko so they can keep saying "she can't win when it matters". #ed_op#br#ed_cl#She won, and they are still angry. :)#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#There are only 25 women, out of the thousands current of former players, that can tell their Grand kids "I was World #1": Halep is one of them. Quite an accomplishment.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Oct Sun 08, 2017 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Sun 08, 2017 11:17 am

No. 1 no longer means best player.