All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
MARIA/HALEP: 1st Round

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 25, 2017 1:04 pm

lol

I'm betting on MS. Halep is on the verge of the no.1 ranking so she has too much pressure, whereas, MS has little to none. MS will be super motivated. Halep must be a little scared.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Fri 25, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 25, 2017 1:15 pm

H2H 6-0 Maria.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Fri 25, 2017 7:07 pm

That is no coincidence.
I remember they gave a WC to Taylor and set her up to play Serena in the first round. That's when Taylor had a running with the USTA for her size.
I don't believe those draws are purely random.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 25, 2017 7:30 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

What's their motivation this time?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Fri 25, 2017 7:39 pm

To show Sharapova is better than the players leading the tour right now and to justify that stupid WC. If she beats Halep, the WC folks will be elated saying "see????"
The issue is not whether she can play at the top of the game or not. The issue is that banned players should not get a Reserved Ranking. The French and Wimbledon Officials got it. The USTA folks don't.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Aug Fri 25, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:MARIA/HALEP: 1st Round

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Aug Fri 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Looking forward to it. I suspect it'll be a night match.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Aug Fri 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Launching of 2017 Domination. .... 7-0

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 27, 2017 9:34 am

It seems like Simona is questioning the so-called random draw pitting her against Maria:

Simona Halep was hardly surprised when she was drawn against Maria Sharapova in the first round of the US Open, which begins here on Monday.

“I’ve had very tough draws almost every time,” Halep said when asked what her reaction had been to news of the draw. “Of course I was a little bit like: ‘How is it possible again? It’s just the first round of a Grand Slam.’ But I felt OK.”

Having returned earlier this year from a 15-month suspension for a drugs offence, Sharapova will be making her first appearance in a Grand Slam tournament since last year’s Australian Open. She has been troubled by injuries following her return and is currently ranked No 147 in the world, which meant she could not go directly into the main draw here without a wild card.

Halep was among a number of players who criticised the tournament director in Stuttgart for giving the Russian a wild card in her first comeback tournament in April, saying that it did not set a good example to young people to reward a player who had been banned for a drugs offence.

Here, however, the 25-year-old Romanian refused to be drawn into any controversy about her opponent’s wild card. “The tournament decided and they can do anything they want,” she said. “It’s not my position to talk about this. She's coming back. She's strong enough to come back, in my opinion. She has a lot of experience and has also won many tournaments, so I think she’s OK.”

Sharapova has won all six of her previous meetings with Halep, though they have not played each other since the end of 2015. Their biggest match was in the 2014 French Open final, which Sharapova won in three sets.

Halep said: “Facing her, I’m like: ‘It’s going to be a big challenge, first round of Grand Slam. She beat me six times.’ So maybe I will change this. We will see on Monday. I just want to do my best, to try to win the match and of course to enjoy it. It's a big, big match.”

Asked what it was about Sharapova’s game that troubled her, Halep said: “I was so close many times. Maybe it’s just a little bit difficult because she’s playing flat, she’s playing risky, and maybe in the most important moments during the matches against her I couldn’t step in and just take the opportunity.”

However, Halep said she felt she was a very different player to 2014. “I am different in all the ways,” she said. “I feel stronger mentally and in my game. I have more experience. I faced many situations in these three years. I feel better and I feel that I'm ready to face her again.”

Halep is one of eight women who could finish this tournament as world No 1. Already world No 2, she has been within one victory of taking over the top spot on three occasions this summer but lost each time.

Halep said she would not be thinking about the world No 1 position any more. “I thought about it too much,” she said. “Maybe the pressure came in important moments, so now it’s gone. Everyone can take the No 1, and if it's going to happen, I will deserve it. If not, no, then we will see.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tenn ... 14691.html
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Sun 27, 2017 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Aug Mon 28, 2017 8:17 am

Yup, in primetime no less, when we have Americans in the field. No other country does this BS!! I hope Simona wipes the court with her!!

I'm boycotting this year ~ They won't get my money to showcase a doper!!

Kunalwalia
Senior
Senior

Post by Kunalwalia » Aug Mon 28, 2017 9:50 am

Come on.... hear yourself guys....
If you want to protect your feet from hurt - wear slippers instead of trying to carpet the earth....