Tournaments this week

kvitova?

All Tennis, All the Time
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
kvitova?

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 22, 2017 8:50 am

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Petra Kvitova's final tuneup for the U.S. Open ended with a 6-2, 6-1 loss to Shuai Zhang of China in the first round of the Connecticut Open on Monday night.

Kvitova, a two-time Wimbledon champion and a three-time champion in New Haven, is just 4-4 on hard courts this season. The Czech player returned to the tour at the French Open in May after she was stabbed during a home invasion in December, leaving her dominant left hand seriously injured.

Zhang, ranked 29th, was playing her first match in the United States since April.

"I just arrived in New Haven last night, coming straight from China," she said. "It's a big change. It's 12 hours' time difference. Before the match I was still sleeping."

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:kvitova?

Post by rex » Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:03 am

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#Even more embarrassing.......a jet-lagged Zhang still whipped her by a bad score of 6-2, 6-1. 

#ed_op#/i#ed_cl#

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:33 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

And more than likely, it wasn't a non-stop flight. She must've changed planes at least twice to get to New Haven, unless she flew into NY/NJ and drove to NH, which is no better.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:39 am

I think Kvitova is still bothered by her hand.
Probably she doesn't have a good grip but just trying as much as she can.
She misses by miles as if they were a lack of calibration. She knows where she wants to hit. She has the right mind. But the shots are not guided well.
I believe at some point, her fingers will cooperate. Right now, she is just struggling with her grip I think.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:43 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Yes, I think she might have to learn a completely different grip, and as you know, that's like starting from scratch.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:53 am

She still can't make a fist, so there's atrophy in her ligaments. Probably needs more therapy and rest!!

A shame!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:56 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>djmm1962</b>:</font>

Then it's almost impossible to grip the racket.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Tue 22, 2017 11:03 am

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#Uh.....she won Birmingham with the grip and won it convincingly. Not buying the grip as an excuse for playing this poorly. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Yet, if there is a problem with her left hand, then take the rest of the year off like a host of men have done. Continue therapy while getting in shape, for she's not in shape with her conditioning coach sitting in the stands and come ready in January for the Pacific where everyone starts at square one. #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 22, 2017 11:05 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

She's not the greatest athlete in the world. I doubt a very extended break would be beneficial. In any event, she might've done damage in her 'triumphant' return.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Tue 22, 2017 11:11 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#She's already stated that if her hand becomes a problem, she wouldn't play and she's not complaining about such during the USO series. She's performing like a sandlot tennis player, while being winded for she peters out if the match goes 3. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I don't know why she doesn't just go home, for she's wasting a spot in the draw playing like this and could lose to anyone, including a qualie in the lst round in NY. #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#