Tournaments this week

WOZ: New No. 1

All Tennis, All the Time

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:WOZ: New No. 1

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Aug Mon 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Please anyone but Woz. Number one but can't win one title out of 6 finals?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Kerber out.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Simona Halep has inside track in eight-woman fight for No 1

Eight women have a chance to claim the world number one ranking after the year`s final Grand Slam event, which opens Monday on the New York hardcourts with Halep facing Maria Sharapova in the feature match.

Czech Karolina Pliskova, last year`s US Open runner-up, owns the top spot and can take at the tournament along with Halep, Konta, Muguruza, Ukraine`s Elina Svitolina, Dane Caroline Wozniacki, Russia`s Svetlana Kuznetsova and US seven-time Grand Slam winner Venus Williams.

"Everyone gets more confidence that everything is possible," Halep said. "All the players have to be more confident and to think that everyone can do big things."

Defending champion Angelique Kerber of Germany cannot gain points so can`t take the top spot. And 2016 US Open runner-up Pliskova defends so many points that it`s Halep who has the inside track.

Wozniacki, Konta, Kuznetsova and Williams would each have to win the title to have a chance at the top spot. Pliskova must reach the final. Svitolina needs a semi-final spot and Muguruza must reach the fourth round.

And that`s just if Halep loses to five-time Grand Slam winner Sharapova, who owns a 6-0 record against the Romanian. The deeper Halep goes, the harder it gets for the rest.

"I don`t feel any difference," Pliskova said. "I just try to handle it. Just take match by match. I don`t want to put any extra pressure. I have enough of pressure.

"I know it`s going to be very difficult with so many girls playing for this position, but I think I have a good chance to stay there if I play well."Wozniacki, 0-6 in WTA finals this year, would love to end her drought in Grand Slam fashion and take the top spot.

"You can make big jumps if you have a great event. I`m excited to be in the position I`m in," Wozniacki said.

"As long as I keep putting myself in those situations, I`m pretty happy with that."

Former number one Kerber, however, says the top ranking brings a happier feeling.

"It`s for sure a very great feeling to be number one because this is what you were always dreaming for," Kerber said. "It`s not so easy to get there, but if you are there, it`s a feeling you`ll never forget."

http://zeenews.india.com/tennis/simona- ... 36959.html

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re:WOZ: New No. 1

Post by Graveller » Aug Sun 27, 2017 4:49 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#93tennisroyalty#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl#As long as the winner of the US Open will also be #1, I am fine with anyone....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#(Garbine is always acceptable, even  if she does not win).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Now, what?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Thu 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Sveta out. Now what?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Fri 01, 2017 1:04 pm

NEW YORK (AP) — Five women still remain in contention for the No. 1 ranking as the U.S. Open's third round begins.

Venus Williams and Garbine Muguruza are among them and try to reach the fourth round by winning Friday.

Two of the others, current No. 1 Karolina Pliskova and Elina Svitolina, will play Saturday.

The fifth, Simona Halep, lost in the first round to Maria Sharapova.

Kunalwalia
Senior
Senior

Post by Kunalwalia » Sep Fri 01, 2017 4:21 pm

With muguruza winning today, Venus is out of the race to take the no.1 spot (although she's still in the list of anticipated winner)
Now the race is down to Pliskova, Muguruza and Svitolina....

The irony is if it's a Pliskova vs Muguruza final and PLiskova wins the title, they will both have the same ranking points.... will need to check who will get the no.1 spot in that case....

However there are a number of hurdles before getting there...

Let's wait and watch
If you want to protect your feet from hurt - wear slippers instead of trying to carpet the earth....

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Sun 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Now what? Garbine swatted out of the tournament.