PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Day 10.....Wimby

Predict WTA Winners and Champions every week.
rex
Commish
Commish
Day 10.....Wimby

Post by rex » Jul Wed 12, 2017 9:00 pm

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/s ... index.html

Kayla Day in the qtrs for Girl's singles. If interested, 5 a.m. match....

Women's semi's later beginning at 7:00 a.m. CDT

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 6:15 am

Six american girls in the last 8 of the junior event.... #ed_op#br#ed_cl#USA has no reason to complain.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#ps:  I found a stream for that match, Rex :-)  (it is part of my DayLi portion of tennis - pun intended... :-) ) #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Graveller on Jul Thu 13, 2017 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:08 am

Match between the tow Americans Day and Li ended just in time ( first SF wil start in 10 minutes).

Started to watch at start of second set; Day won the first set 6-4 (did not see that), but after some early breaks (6-4 2-3) in Set #2, junior #1 Day only managed to win a single game... Li winning 4-6 6-2 6-1.

I know that junior ranking is not that significant, and in this match it was mainly Li that showed the most potential: she got decent power (but the strapping on her right shoulder is hopefully not directly related to her style of play; otherwise it may be a short-lived career).
Li also knew how to find the lines AND mixed up her shots nicely with good execution: I remeber in Set #3 a rally with a flat, hard FH close to the baseline, followed by a slice almost on the baseline, followed by another flat, hard FH close to the baseline (and Day missing on that last one); Li came often to the net and showed good control of the ball there (dropshots, overhead smashes). Overall used the whole court when constructing a point; was not waiting for the error.

The one game that Day won in Set #3, was a perfect service game: a series of very hard and deep serves that were either aces or unreturned serves. But the service did not work in the other service games (saw her getting broken in 5 of the 7 service games that I saw due to inconsistent serving).

Overall, Day had to undergo many of the rallies and returning/defending was too often her only strategy. Maybe she had a bad day, because this was not 100% what I expect from a junior #1.

It was my first observation of Ann Li; gonna store the name in the back of my head and if I find the time (and there is a stream) I'll try to watch her SF.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:34 am

Muguruza - Rybarikova... 5-0....

Pointless having surprises in the SF when they crumble under the pressure of the moment.

It was a nice story for her so far, but if she cannot regroup, then I really wished that she had not beaten Pliskova, and that I was watching Muguruza vs Pliskova at this point in time.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:35 am

I really hope that she gets rid of the nerves.... I want to see a real match...PLEASE.......
Last edited by Graveller on Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:42 am

No bagel but a breadstick... ("deep sigh")

John McEnroe pointed out early in the match that she lost in R1 in 7 of her last 8 Wimbledons (+ one R3)...

So she can "peak" on grass, but that does not make Rybarikova a good grass player...

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:47 am

And Clijsters and McEnroe try as much as they can to find evidence that there will be a turn-around.... but Muguruza breaks her right from the start of Set#2
Last edited by Graveller on Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:53 am

a dropshot that lands on your side of the net....(am I allowed to cry?)

broken on love.... again....

6-1 3-0 (double break) for Garbine....

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 13, 2017 7:57 am

in some rallies - with every shot - Garbine moves one or two feet towards the net until she can finish the point...

Rybarikova looks like a great sparring partner.... 6-1 4-0...

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Thu 13, 2017 8:16 am

wow, this was quick.
How did this Ryba girl beat Pliskova and Coco?
I see why she lost 8 straight times in Wimbledon R1. She's got no weapon. just pushing balls around.
That game can beat an erratic Coco.