So Sad For ANGIE

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
So Sad For ANGIE

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 12, 2017 8:53 am

Wimbledon 2017: Angelique Kerber SNUBBED by fans... who should be watching Serena Williams

Centre Court tickets for day two of the Championships are sold out meaning there shouldn't be a spare seat in the house.

Traditionally, day two of the tournament is kicked off by the reigning women's champion.

That means Serena Williams should be in action today - although she is taking a break from the sport because she's pregnant.

It meant Kerber, the World No.1 and last year's runner-up, filled in as the first one on Centre Court.

But hundreds of spectators opted to stay away from her clash with qualifier Irina Falconi.

There were empty seats all round the court and made for a less-than exhilarating spectacle for a lady currently ranked the best on the planet.

Kerber, who won the Australian Open and US Open last year, is making her 10th main draw appearance at Wimbledon.

She is followed by Novak Djokovic against Martin Klizan and Roger Federer v Alexandr Dolgopolov on Centre.

Wimbledon faced yet more accusations of sexist scheduling yesterday as stars at the very top of the women’s and men’s sport once again turned on the All England Club.

Top seed and world number one Angelique Kerber sensationally crashed out at the hands of 2015 finalist Garbine Muguruza but did so in front of a modest crowd on No 2 Court, as tournament organisers appeared to favour male players on the showcourts.

“To be honest, I was really surprised that I was playing on No 2 Court,” said two-time Grand Slam champion Kerber after a three set defeat to Muguruza — her second successive match away from the spotlight. “I think we both played a good match which was at a very high level. And I was actually really looking forward to playing on one of the two big courts.

Murray reaches Wimbledon quarter-finals with straight-set victory
“I mean, what can I say? This is the schedule and it is not my decision at the end of the day. It is a decision made my others. At the end I have to take the court I get scheduled on. But of course I was surprised.”