Tournaments this week

Day 7...Monday....Wimby

Building competitive mixed ATP-WTA teams for the Grand Slams
Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Mon 10, 2017 8:25 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

I wouldn't say Ostepenko did likewise Gross. She was up 5-3 in that second set and almost let it slip away. Still a straight sets win but Venus was in total control out there today. Venus needed a easy win as she has to play again tomorrow so that was short and sweet just like the Dr. ordered.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jul Mon 10, 2017 8:30 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

Yes, Venus has handled (surprisingly for me) members of the promising Class of '97 (Osaka, Konjuh, Ostapenko, Bencic and Kasatkina, tho' I'm including Siniakova, a year older, in this group) and now faces another. I was expecting a better performance from Ana in this match than Naomi, for she has a far better net game and can finish aggressively inside the service line, where Naomi doesn't have a net game and makes massive mistakes inside the service line that Lindsay says, and I agree, you shouldn't make as a player, give up points. Disappointing effort from this young talent, but it's just an experience for her at this point in her career, simultaneously, as she's not a finished product at 19. Good win for Venus, and yes, she gets the fearless Alona O' in the next match, likely on Center and should be on Center court for the quarters. Looking forward to it....

Now, Vika and Simona....
Last edited by rex on Jul Mon 10, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 10, 2017 8:33 am

The WS prefer playing the girls who've tasted glory.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Re:Day 7...Monday....Wimby

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Mon 10, 2017 8:37 am

I don't think Venus likes losing to the teenyboppers. She wants to show them that the old lady still has some fight and skill left in her. She's not ready to be put out to pasture just yet. Two 19 year olds and now a 20 something.

That being said Ostepenko may put up the most fight of the youngsters. She's very confident and can hit and serve with authority. Venus will have to continue to serve well and not let Ostepenko have to many looks at second serves. I'd like to see Vee get Ostapenko stretched out wide and come in and knock off the volley and stay aggressive.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 10, 2017 8:39 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Skilletsauce</b>:</font>

Osta's go for broke shots have to hit their mark more than they did today to win.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jul Mon 10, 2017 9:13 am

Well....Venus is past her prime at age 37 and a younger player with talent, power and game, like Osaka, Konjuh and Ostapenko of the Class of '97, who have the power and game to dismiss older players, should be able to dismiss an aged player past their prime, like Venus.

In the Venus/Osaka match, Naomi dealt evenly with Venus in serve and groundstrokes, tight match. The difference was that Naomi blew a ton of sitters inside the service line and didn't execute volleys for she has no net game. She was up 3-0 in the breaker, but blew 2 easy sitters inside the service line to enable Venus to eventually recover from a deficit. But, she's been doing this all year, as she wears epoxy cement on her shoes on the baseline. This is why I want D. Taylor to be ejected, released as Naomi's coach, for he's not helping her, sitting in the box with a bemused smile on his face as his player screwed up sitters and volleys.

Alona has the same power as Osaka and Konjuh, but not their serves. Yet, she'll go for her shots "always", no relenting even tho' she goes on error binges. Venus is playing pretty solid right now and the way she's handled the youngsters at this point is giving me pause. If Alona had the dropper in her arsenal, which she doesn't, she'd expose Venus at the net the way Flipkens did at the Olympics and Siegemund did at Charleston, for Venus is slow afoot now. Alona doesn't have the serve like Osaka, who dictated with such in the Venus' match. So, it'll come down to who prevails in baseline rallies and it looks more promising for Venus against Alona, coming off these 2 wins against her peers. But, you can't count out the fearless Alona..... We'll see.....

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 10, 2017 9:14 am

Coco :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 10, 2017 9:22 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

Venus might be slower, might, but she's still as fast as the fastest player, if not faster. BTW, Usain Bolt is in his 30's.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Mon 10, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 10, 2017 9:25 am

That's right, Grosse!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 10, 2017 9:33 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>djmm1962</b>:</font>

I don't recall Vee having any lower extremity injuries that would slow her down.