PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

BAD Attitude, Burnout Or Lack of Talent?

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
BAD Attitude, Burnout Or Lack of Talent?

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 04, 2017 3:21 pm

BERNARD TOMIC ADMITS HE'S NOT COMMITTED, WINNING DOESN'T SATISFY HIM

With every passing tournament, it seems, Bernard Tomic’s once-promising career falls farther and farther into the abyss.

The 24-year-old Australian’s first-round loss at Wimbledon on Tuesday was ugly, but his press conference after the match was even uglier.

"I just started bad the first set, and then, mentally, I wasn't there after he broke me in the second," Tomic said after his 6-4, 6-3, 6-4 loss to 27th-seeded Mischa Zverev. “Some weeks I play well and beat a bunch of players and do super well in tournaments ... But now it's a roller coaster, and I just can't seem to find, like, the commitment to work hard, to enjoy [playing] and to lift trophies.”

Tomic, ranked 59th, reached as high as No. 17 in January of 2016 and has won three titles in his career—the last of which came in 2015. He’s struggled for much of the past two years, though, and is now 9-16 on the season.

"I feel holding a trophy or, you know, doing well, it doesn't satisfy me anymore," the 2011 Wimbledon quarterfinalist bluntly admitted. "It's not there. I couldn't care less if I make a fourth-round U.S. Open or I lose [in the] first round. To me, everything is the same. I'm going to play another 10 years, and I know after my career I won't have to work again.”

One reporter asked Tomic if he would give his prize money back after yet another disappointing performance, but the two-time Bogota champion defended his effort on court.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/07/ ... rev/67335/
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Tue 04, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jul Tue 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Who says it has to be any of those? See Andrea Jaeger.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Not saying he's going to become a priest or a monk, but just because you happen to do something#ed_op#br#ed_cl#well doesn't mean it gives your heart joy or fulfillment. Also, given his father's craziness, who is to#ed_op#br#ed_cl#say tennis was ever his dream? He may not know now what it is he truly wants, but he knows that#ed_op#br#ed_cl#for now tennis isn't it. Also, just because it isn't it doesn't mean in being honest he should give back#ed_op#br#ed_cl#his prize money. How many of us work jobs we don't particularly care for? It pays the bills. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#For Tomic, it not only pays the bills, but affords him to travel the world, party, meet girls, ect... better#ed_op#br#ed_cl# than the average job and pays much better given him being a permanent top 100-50 player giving minimal effort. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#He may not always feel this way(see Andre Agassi) and tennis over the next decade may become to mean more to #ed_op#br#ed_cl#him. However, this is where he is for now and that's okay. It's his life and he gets to live it as he sees fit.

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:BAD Attitude, Burnout Or Lack of Talent?

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Jul Wed 05, 2017 12:07 am

As an athlete, I can totally respect how he feels even though it may come across as ungrateful. No matter what the sport, all athlete's experience highs and lows throughout their careers; some more extreme than others. Because we are just people at the end of the day; trying to do and be our best. But we fail a lot and it's hard. There are times when we are completely unsatisfied. Times when we don't have the same motivation or passion for the game as we once had. Times when we can't stand the sight of our sport and almost even hate it. Times when ask ourselves, why am I still doing this?

And what we need at moments like this is time away. Time to do and think about other things, to enjoy life, and to be free of our athletic obligations. This helps us clear our heads and come back with a fresh perspective. More often than not, we miss the sport again because our love for it is so deep and we come back. This time re-motivated and re-inspired.

He is experiencing a low and no one should judge him for it. Just give him time to work it out.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 05, 2017 10:06 am

Coach helps Cibulkova rediscover self-belief15:57

"Before this Wimbledon, I had a few bad losses. I didn't feel I'm playing my best tennis. I wasn't mentally that strong that I wished to be. But before this tournament we had a good talk with my coach. And he told me, Domi, even you lost now a few matches in a row, you are a great player. You're a really experienced player. And you played so many Grand Slams already. So you know what to do here. To play a Grand Slam is completely different story. He knew I'm playing well during the practices, and he wanted me just to be more calm and to believe in myself and that this could be a new beginning for me. That's what I did."

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 05, 2017 10:23 am

Poor Tomic ~ To get some perspective, he should ask Timea about working in a hotel. LOL!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 05, 2017 11:27 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>djmm1962</b>:</font>

And Timea is Swiss and I can tell you the Swiss pay well, even if you work at McD. He should take a gander at the average Aussie his age and see how hard they have it. He keeps talking about the money he makes and that he he'll never have to work again. My gut tells me he's not entirely certain how much he earns and where it goes. I bet there are quite a few hands in that pot and he's in for a shock.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Heck yeah, Grosse. That money goes fast!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 05, 2017 12:21 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>djmm1962</b>:</font>

Hate to say it but I foresee bankruptcy in Monfils' future while his baby momma or two live it up in the Champs Elysee. Even Boris Becker has ow filed for bankruptcy and awhile back, the Germans tried to jail him for tax evasion.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Wed 05, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 05, 2017 4:06 pm

"You know, I know I have to work hard," he said. "For sure I don't do the right work. You know, you need to be super fit and you have to enjoy it and you have to travel a lot.

"And I believe, you know, you have to respect the sport. But I think I don't respect it enough, yes, because I [am], you can say, super talented."

TOMIC

Miss_Vee
Regular
Regular

Re:BAD Attitude, Burnout Or Lack of Talent?

Post by Miss_Vee » Jul Wed 05, 2017 5:51 pm

I tend to agree with Pyotr's and tennis royalty' stake on Tomic's issue. None of us are privy to what he is or has been experiencing in his personal life. When anyone is finding no joy for their job, and lacks motivation, he or she is going through a personal internal crisis of sorts. It's so easy for those of us looking in with limited information, to be judgemental. Bernie is just telling us how he feels about the sport right now. He can also choose to leave, complete an education and take up another career. But he is taking the path of least resistance by saying he will stay in another 10 years, and make more money than he would elsewhere. He may rediscover the desire to be an elite player and put in the work down the road, because "talent", without the work ethic is not good enough. But he has to rediscover it....if he ever had it in the first place.