Tournaments this week

INJURY List

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
INJURY List

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Thu 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Karolina Pliskova has withdrawn from next week's event in Birmingham to rest her injured elbow, joining some other top names in deciding not to play the tournament.

"The elbow has been bothering me for a few weeks already,” the world No. 3 told the Czech News Agency. “It needs some good rest. The top (thing), of course, is Wimbledon which I need to prepare for the most.”

A number of other players have withdrawn in the last week or so. Former world No. 1 Maria Sharapova pulled out of the entire grass season because of a thigh injury. French Open finalist Simona Halep will not play, nor will No. 10 Agnieszka Radwanska, No. 14 Madison Keys, No. 16 Elena Vesnina and No. 24 Daria Kasatkina.

But the event still has several Top 20 players, with world No. 1 Angelique Kerber, Garbine Muguruza, Petra Kvitova, Johanna Konta, Elina Svitolina, Kristina Mladenovic and Dominika Cibulkova in the field.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 16, 2017 9:03 am

LONDON (AP) — Juan Martin del Potro withdrew from the grass-court tournament at Queen's Club on Friday because of injury, putting his participation at Wimbledon in doubt.

Del Potro injured his groin at the French Open, where he lost to Andy Murray in the third round. He later pulled out of a tournament in the Netherlands because of the injury.

Posting on Twitter, del Potro wrote "following my doctor's advice, I won't be able to play Queen's this year since I am still recovering from my injury."

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 16, 2017 10:45 am

I heard all that has to do with the new tax system put in place by the British government. Something like if you work there or play there for 30 days, they'll tax your entire yearly earnings.
Players don't want to be there for 30 days.
Google it and you'll probably find more info about it. Curiously, they have exempted a few events but tennis is not one of them.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Fri 16, 2017 12:52 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Just read something about that on the TF. The tax you mentioned is an additional levy to the "50%" tax on appearance fees and earnings off the top.

Appears Mallorca is a better option for a grass warmup, in addition to the Netherlands (Ricoh) just to avoid the tax man in the UK and stay under the 30 day rule.

Birmingham has a ton of withdrawals, which also includes Ostapenko who was coming in to replace 'Pova. Makes me wonder if the reason for these withdrawals is due to the UK's onerous tax system for athletes with the exemption for footballers (soccer players) and some others (not looking this up).

Yet.....I'm reading articles that Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods and Nadal, who just withdrew from the Queens event and is electing to play Halle in Germany, where they're paying him 750k in appearance fees, are some of the athletes skipping the UK sporting events due to its onerous tax system. Don't blame them....

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 16, 2017 1:46 pm

That's really silly. Why not simply say they won't pay any appearance fees in England? 50% is too much.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Fri 16, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:INJURY List

Post by rex » Jun Fri 16, 2017 5:00 pm

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#It appears that England has taxed themselves out of top players playing their warm-up events, for I've just realized that Roger's warm-up events are in Germany (Stuttgart and Halle), Rafa's lone event is in Halle, Thiem is playing in Turkey (a grass event) and Novak is playing "none", tho' I read that he's considering entering Eastbourne with the TD offering him a WC, while the ladies' withdrawals I believe are "tax avoidance" withdrawals with the top players for the women showing up to play Eastbourne (a week ere Wimby), then Wimby ending the grass season in the UK, avoiding that 30 day tax penalty. Agreed that the 50% tax on prize money and appearance fees is beyond absurd, but the additional tax is even more ridiculous. Roger and Rafael are the Tours biggest draws, but the UK has taxed them completely out of their appearance at their warm-ups in addition to other players, denying the Brits at these warm-up events to see top players and the tourneys losing revenue by their non-appearance (less sell outs). Tournaments such as Nottingham and Birmingham for the ladies and Eastbourne for the men are going to take a hit from these players due to their onerous tax laws.&nbsp; #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Ostapenko was going to play Birmingham to replace 'Pova. It was tweeted to that effect this past Monday. Yet, it was odd that the tourney site did not mention it as a news item in subsequent days 'til today announcing Jelena's withdrawal. Me thinks that J'la was going to play but someone hipped her and her team to the tax burden affecting her appearance not only at Birmingham but Eastbourne (she's on the docket for the main draw) and Wimby, a big threat if she repeats her Paris run, for the total time of prep, practice and participation for these events will exceed 30 days. So, she withdraws to avoid the additional tax burden, let alone the primary tax. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Won't be surprised that in subsequent years Mallorca and the Netherlands will have more top players, as well as Germany and Turkey for the gents prior to Wimby. #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Jun Fri 16, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:INJURY List

Post by rex » Jun Fri 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Regarding this tax matter, I see how players have adjusted to the 30 day additional tax. Angie Kerber is on the docket for Birmingham next week. However, she's currently prepping/practicing in "Mallorca", for the UK includes in their 30-day period the days players practice and prep on their turf for their events. So, for one, Angie avoids same by prepping/practicing out of country for Birmingham, then a week off prior to Wimby for prep/practice in London, and a possible final at Wimby within the 30 day period. Man....
Last edited by rex on Jun Fri 16, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Sat 17, 2017 1:46 am

For the men, you also have the Masters in the UK at the end of the season..
So the top 10 (apart from British citizen Andy) can only play Wimbledon and The Masters if they want avoid the extra tax.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:27 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

Good point, Grav'...... :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Thu 22, 2017 10:41 am

BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) — Elina Svitolina was eliminated in the second round of the Aegon Classic on Thursday, losing to Italian qualifier Camila Giorgi 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 in the second round.

Svitolina, a 22-year-old Ukrainian who recently broke into the top 10, said a foot injury could force her to skip Wimbledon.

"There is a question about it," Svitolina said. "I will talk with my physios. The season is very long and I must look at the bigger picture.