Tournaments this week

Dec 30: SERENA v. Ostapenko

All Tennis, All the Time
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Dec 30: SERENA v. Ostapenko

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Sun 24, 2017 2:30 pm

#ed_op#p class="speakable-p-1 p-text"#ed_cl#Serena Williams will make her return to
the tennis court after the birth of her daughter, facing Jelena
Ostapenko in an exhibition match on Saturday, Dec. 30.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p class="speakable-p-2 p-text"#ed_cl#Williams will take on the reigning French Open champion during the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p class="p-text"#ed_cl#“I
am delighted to be returning to the court in Abu Dhabi for the first
time since the birth of my daughter in September," Williams said in a
statement. "The Mubadala World Tennis Championship has long marked the
beginning of the men’s global tennis season and I am excited and honored
to be making my comeback as part of the first women to participate in
the event."#ed_op#/p#ed_cl#Williams has not played a competitive
match since winning the Australian Open in January. The 36-year-old has
won 23 Grand Slam titles in her career.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Sun 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Obviously, Graveller is Serena's fave. Oh, well...

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Tue 26, 2017 8:51 am

She is more than half way to Australia now. This tells she will fly to Australia next.. She is not coming back home unless she realizes she is not ready for the first slam of the year.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Tue 26, 2017 9:25 am

It would be foolish, no matter how she's feeling after this exo, to make the AO her first tournament if she truly eyes a defense. I hope she's not overly confident simply because she famously won that event while preg.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Tue 26, 2017 10:09 am

Is Osta the only 'top' player Serena has yet to play? Or have they played? I can't recall. It appears she played doubles against her last year.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Dec 30: SERENA v. Ostapenko

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Tue 26, 2017 10:55 am

It's their first meeting. I don't expect much from this. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Serena lost to Wozz at an Exhibition a couple of years ago. It think it was in Brazil of somewhere in South America.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#She  lost to Radwanska at Hopman's Cup. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#She's most likely to lose to Ostapenko. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#For me, the most important thing will be what she  looks like. If she is carrying 50 extra pounds, it won't be easy. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Her brain may know what to do, but will the body follow?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Brain asks the feet to move; feet go "sorry we can't". lol#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Brain asks the arm to swing fast: arm go "sorry I don't know how". lol#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Those kinds of things will be her challenges.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Dec Tue 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Nice match-up!

I don't get the worry here. Serena has been on the tour for nearly 20 years. I'm certain she has
it all in hand and knows what she is doing. What I adore about Serena's game most is her mind.
She doesn't seem to allow doubt or fear stop her like so many others.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Tue 26, 2017 2:25 pm

She deliberately targeted the youngest, newest, most fearless and successful member of the top 10. It helps that Venus played and defeated her twice this year.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Dec Tue 26, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Dec Wed 27, 2017 3:18 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

Not sure why I got dragged into this conversation; tbh, i have little interest in exhibition matches; and little importance to the outcome.

Hope they both enjoy the event.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Wed 27, 2017 8:31 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

Yes, it's exo and I don't normally put any stock in them but this feels so much different. This match is likely to be watched by almost 100% of the WTA, making it slightly more watched than the Wimbledon final.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Dec Wed 27, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.