PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Serena - sparking recent coaching changes

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic

Do you believe these new coaching changes will help anyone &/or make a dent in the "Serena situation"?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 1

TheDevMiester
Junior
Junior
Serena - sparking recent coaching changes

Post by TheDevMiester » Dec Sat 14, 2013 8:45 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1863 ... ng-changes

Serena Williams was recently named WTA Player of the Year for the fifth time. Coming off what could be considered one of the best years in the history of women's tennis, Williams talked about room for improvement.

"I have some areas where I can do a lot better for next year, and I look forward to it...Overall, I'll remember the wins, but I also want to learn from my mistakes so I don't repeat them," Williams told the Associated Press.

She can do better? Better than 78-4? Better than going undefeated on clay? Better than a record $12,385,572 in prize money?

No wonder several top challengers have hired new coaches. Williams' dominance has sparked a rash of coaching changes.

Postseason coaching moves are nothing new. What better time to reassess strategy? However, this year's coaching carousal seems fueled by a desire to figure out the "Serena situation."

Players with a good game have realized whatever they were doing just isn't good enough. Therefore, the coaching carousal keeps spinning.

Maria Sharapova recently announced she's hired Sven Groeneveld.

Sharapova got off to a good start in 2013. She won 36 of 41 matches and titles at Indian Wells and Stuttgart. Williams did not compete in either of those tournaments.

Sharapova returned to the French Open final to defend her 2012 title. However, Williams defeated her. After a second-round exit at Wimbledon, she axed coach Thomas Hogstedt. She hired Jimmy Connors and fired him after a loss to Sloane Stephens in Cincinnati.

A four-time Grand Slam winner, Sharapova is probably not content with collecting also-ran accolades. She's banking on Groeneveld to help her solve the Serena puzzle.

In November, Samantha Stosur cut ties with her long-time coach David Taylor and hired Miles Maclagan.

Players seeking to win their first Slam also switched coaches. Caroline Wozniacki, a former No. 1, hired Sharapova's old coach, Hogstedt.

Simona Halep, who had the best year of her career, announced a coaching change too. The underachieving Laura Robson hired Nick Saviano.

Sloane Stephens hired Paul Annacone on a trial basis. Annacone split with Roger Federer after the U.S. Open. Stephens was one of only three people to defeat Williams last year. The two have reportedly been working together in Los Angeles.

If Stephens shows significant improvement, she may want to extend the relationship. Li Na hired Carlos Rodriguez on a trial basis last year. They continue to work together. It's been a productive partnership. Li reached No. 3, a career high.

Meanwhile, Williams continues to work with Patrick Mouratoglou, the coach credited with helping her become a more consistent player.

Unlike her opponents, Williams has probably done more to elevate her coach's career than he has hers.

TheDevMiester
Junior
Junior

Post by TheDevMiester » Dec Sat 14, 2013 8:50 am

I busted out laughing at the bold, underlined statement.

Marcus1979
Commish
Commish

Post by Marcus1979 » Dec Sat 14, 2013 8:53 am

as good as the last 2 years have been its still not up there with 2002/03 yet.

I mean she plays more these days but in 2002 and 2003 she was always the big favourite to reach the final in majors.

Between US Open 2001 and WImbledon 2003

she reached the SF or better of every major she contested.

between 2001 AUstralian Open and 2004 US Open she reached the QF or better at every major she contested.

She didn't have those fluke 1st or 2nd round losses back then in majors it was contentrate on majors and go with motions in regular tour events.

TheDevMiester
Junior
Junior

Post by TheDevMiester » Dec Sat 14, 2013 9:16 am

Well, I prefer this Serena, with still having respect for the old. This is the life of a real tennis professional. She's playing more, which I love. It helps her historic numbers & I get the chance to watch her play more before she retires. After that 1st round lost at the French last year, she's only lost before the finals twice, at the AO & Wimby this year.

French Open 2012: 1st
Wimbledon 2012: W
US Open 2012: W
Australian Open 2013: QF
French Open 2013: W
Wimbledon 2013: QF
US Open 2013: W

Those are great odds.

Only thing I see now, she gets crazy tight & nervous in grand slam finals now. She use to have that killer instinct in semi finals & finals. She needs to work on that. I understand she's chasing history & she's putting more pressure on herself now, but she has to control those nerves. I also know that's easier said than done.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Serena - sparking recent coaching changes

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Sat 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Unlike her opponents, Williams has probably done more to elevate her coach's career than he has hers.
Now even casual tennis fans recognize coach Patrick. :)
He got the girl, and the exposure. Good move.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Dec Sat 14, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus1979
Commish
Commish

Post by Marcus1979 » Dec Sun 15, 2013 12:32 am

who do you credit more for Serena's success?

Oracene? Richard? Venus?

I think its all 3. I guess Serena had the advantage of having a top player to play with and practice with that she was able to improve on the circuit very quickly.

TheDevMiester
Junior
Junior

Post by TheDevMiester » Dec Sun 15, 2013 8:10 am

I actually think its more so Serena contributing more to her success. Of course, everyone that has been in her life contributed, but tennis is an individual sport. You can teach someone how to hit a forehand, backhand, serve whatever, but they have to have the mentality, athleticism and capabilities to actually get out there & win. We all say it, Serena is Serena's biggest competition. Nevertheless, we've also heard from Serena's mouth that she only started playing & wanting to win because Venus played.