PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Novak On SERENA

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 12, 2018 11:06 am

He illegitimately docked her a game. That's taking something from someone without justification. It's a theft. granted, it's a poor choice of words but under the emotionally heightened circs of a GS final, it's clear to him what she meant to convey as befitting the moment.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Wed 12, 2018 3:17 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>
No he didn't. He applied the rule.
2nd warning, you lose a point
3rd warning, you lose a game
4th warning, you lose the match. 

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Thu 13, 2018 9:15 am

Osaka thought boos were for her

Osaka also said that she thought the crowd was booing her after the match before Williams assured her that wasn’t the case.

“She said that she was proud of me, and that I should know that the crowd wasn’t booing at me,” Osaka said. “At the time, I did kind of think they were booing at me. I couldn’t tell what was going on because it was just so loud.”

Tells reporters in Japan: ‘I don’t feel sad’

The Japan native’s whirlwind press tour continued in Yokohoma Thursday morning where she told reporters at a news conference that the negative energy around her first Grand Slam win didn’t detract from her joy.

“For me, I don’t feel sad because I wouldn’t even know what I’m expected to feel,” Osaka told reporters. “Because it was my first final and my first Grand Slam victory, overall I felt really happy and I know that I accomplished a lot.

“I don’t think I even thought about feeling sad because there’s no experience for me to draw on (from) any other Grand Slam final.”
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Sep Thu 13, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Thu 13, 2018 11:02 am

In an interview to Sport CZ website the outspoken Czech player Barbora Strycova spoke about Serena Williams's behaviour during the US Open final towards the umpire Carlos Ramos.

The world No. 25 believes that the Portoguese just did his job. 'Ramos is tough, one of the best umpires in the world. He did what he had to do in that match, because she overcame the limit. Did she have to behave differently only because she was Serena Williams? I find it interesting that she did it only when she was losing', said Strycova.

Serena said umpires treat women differently than men, but Strycova does not agree with it: 'This is a bullshit. For umpires being women or men doesn't matter. In comparison, I never saw (Rafael) Nadal shouting like that with an umpire.

Me, as a woman, take a lot of warnings. WTA defence surprised me. Will rules change in Serena's matches? If it's like this, let me know.' Facing Serena is different than facing Venus, Strycova claimed. 'They are always with their dogs behind, their team. It's strange because that's an individual sport, but I got used to it.'

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Re:Novak On SERENA

Post by CrossCourtBH » Sep Thu 13, 2018 11:19 am

SMH they are coming out of the woodwork &amp; yet Venus was to ask Barbora what her problem was due to Barbora's behavior when playing Venus. And wasn't Barbora found to be taking substance. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by CrossCourtBH on Sep Thu 13, 2018 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Thu 13, 2018 11:25 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

It must be patently clear to you that this girl has a generalized issue with the WS. Dogs? Really? Pretty clear she's calling their team dogs because actual dogs aren't part of the team.

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Sep Thu 13, 2018 11:37 am

good point Grosse#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#This incident was unavoidable as there is no justification for Serena venting as she did - the racquet point was legit in context. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Though it would have been great had Carlos overlooked the tirade and not deducted a game which I feel could have affected the match outcome.#ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Where were all the umps and spectators making a stand for Serena after the Capriati travesty.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#And where was the director - did he arrive on court to take a stand for a player during the Capriati match to ensure the match was righted?
Last edited by CrossCourtBH on Sep Thu 13, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Thu 13, 2018 11:39 am

Stephen Curry Says Serena Williams Handled U.S. Open Controversy with 'Grace and Class'

Curry, a friend of Williams, commended the tennis player for her sportsmanship following the loss.

“The way Serena handled the situation,” the Golden State Warriors player told Omnisport while touring Asia with Under Armour. “I think she handled it with such grace and class.”

Curry, a three-time NBA champion, said that reactions like the one Williams displayed are part of the game for athletes playing at such a high level, but controlling emotions can often be difficult.

“It’s tough,” he explained, “but with experience, you understand how you can control your emotions and how you can stay focused on what the task at hand is and that’s just winning basketball games and not letting anything get in the way of that.”
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Sep Thu 13, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Sep Thu 13, 2018 12:01 pm

I felt the venting she did - did get in the way of her focus.
Why did she vent and vent?

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Sep Thu 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Carlos does not seem to be fair to all players - such as in the Nishi Djoko match at Wimbledon - he warned only Djoko for racquet abuse though apparently they both threw their racquets.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I can understand Serena wanted to defend her character (of being coached).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#She needs to have that discussion with her coach - or find a coach who doesn't cheat during the match - because even if he (Patrick) finds this rule and its application hypocritical - as of now it is a rule.
Last edited by CrossCourtBH on Sep Thu 13, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.