Tournaments this week

Gauff vs Lopatetskaya: youngsters' drama

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Gauff vs Lopatetskaya: youngsters' drama

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Thu 06, 2018 4:06 pm

After this heart wrenching match as 13,14-year old girls, Gauff (born March 2004) and Lopatetskaya(born April 2003) at it again for the first time since.

Don't watch this "Les Petits As" match if you have a weak heart. The crying, the DF, the amazing winners while tears running down the cheeks... lol lol lol
And the heart wrenching ending.. What a match !!! Both hitting the balls harder than some 26-year old WTA players
The 2nd and 3rd set... unbelievable drama.

I always wanted to see their next match. And here it is at USO 2018.
One of many to come, I hope.

US Open 2018 - Girls QF
Gauff vs Lopatetskaya

I'd like to see how much they've grown since that Semi Final drama.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Sep Thu 06, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Fri 07, 2018 7:26 am

Both playing power tennis at that age?

They should sue their coach for ruining their career and body before it even started.

I am still waiting for the first junior who played power-tennis who can get decent results on the main tour...

Look at the list of all recent slam winner (apart from Serena): none fit that kind of junior profile: Kerber, Halep, Wozniacki, Stephens, Muguruza, Ostapenko, Penetta, Stosur, Schiavone...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Fri 07, 2018 8:51 am

@Graveller:
20-year old Sabalenka, Kuzmova, Osaka, Ostapenko, moving up the ranking with power tennis.
Yes, it takes them longer than the pushers, but they are coming.
They should sue their coach for ruining their career and body before it even started.
Christ Evert met Serena and Venus when they were 12 and 13 year-old. Evert said what surprised her is how hard they were hitting the balls, harder than herself. Lol lol lol... It can be done. Got to have the right coach. The sisters were not playing Junior tennis on the tour.

Cori's problem is that she wants to turn pro right now. ... She is in a hurry when she is still growing and learning. Glad they have age eligibility rules. Keep her in the kindergarten. She is just a kid. You will see it by watching that video. So much crying from both. What is she gonna do if she gets crushed 6-0 6-0 by Sabalenka? cry all night?
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Sep Fri 07, 2018 9:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Fri 07, 2018 8:55 am

Heartbreaking but there's nothing 'petit' about their ball striking.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Fri 07, 2018 10:28 am

@Ace2Ace:
Serena and Venus have/had tons of talent & variation (if they felt like playing like that :-) ) in addition to their power.
That element of talent/variation is lacking with most young power players because they forget to focus on their development (how often have i said that before :- )
Serena and Venus did not have to work for the power: mother nature took care of that part. But many young players who like to copy the Sisters need to work hard to get the power.
Power comes later. Develop your skills first and the rest will follow. If not, you have no Plan B when it matters.
Look at all those not-so-powerful players that stay(ed) in the top 10 for a long time in their career: Wozniacki, Halep, Stephens, Errani, Svitolina, Radwanska etc etc etc. Why weren't they ousted by all those power-players that are/were around?
Lol, there was a time - not so long ago - that it was predicted that Woz, Aggie and Errani would be replaced by the power-generation.... in reality, they got replaced in the top 10 by Halep, Stephens, Svitolina and Goerges...;
The only one with some power (Pliskova) is inconsistent like hell - just like most of those players.
The last decade, I constantly hear that the power-players will take over... none of them does. It simply does not work if your last name is not Williams.
Last edited by Graveller on Sep Fri 07, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Sep Fri 07, 2018 12:00 pm

@ Graveller:
Isn't Stephen a power player? I mean she doesn't go for broke, but i don't think her shots lack power. She seems to hit a heavy ball. Who is a power player?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Fri 07, 2018 1:16 pm

IMHO, Sloane could be a fine power player if she wanted to.
But she's scare of going for her shot because she misses a lot. She is not used to it. If she would commit to it, she'd build the necessary muscle memory and might not miss that much.

But the pushers like Wozniacki push their way to the top-10 and sit there, collecting points from the power players and winning matches they should lose.

Yes, once in a while, a volcano erupts, the draw falls apart and they win a slam. :) It's their luck.
Kerber should have never won that Australian Open or that Wimbledon. Serena was a nervous wreck in both finals, getting impatient and gifting free points, like she did against Vinci. Could have done the same yesterday against Sevastova had not she married the net.
Hopefully that's how she'll play the pushers in the future: just sit at the net an smack their cheap balls. LOL LOL

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Gauff vs Lopatetskaya: youngsters' drama

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Fri 07, 2018 1:51 pm

As you can see, rematch was last year at the ITF World Junior Tennis Finals and Dasha lost 4-6 0-6.
Apparently, this is their 3rd meeting. So Gauff bageled her? lol lol. A rivalry is born. :)

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Fri 07, 2018 2:37 pm

And the winner of the 3rd encounter is:
Lopa 6-4 3-6 6-2
Will watch this one later.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Fri 07, 2018 5:48 pm

@Graveller:
Serena & Venus did not have to work for the power: mother nature took care of that part. But many young players who like to copy the Sisters need to work hard to get the power.
I think this is a stereotype that good, decent people are buying into. I shake my head every time I read  it on the web.
Nothing tells me these 2 little girls are "naturally strong". They were just like any other kids their age.
They became strong because someone coached them to be strong.
how are they "naturally" stronger than these other kids?
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Sep Fri 07, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.