The Run to Asia
Who's got stamina???

login with facebook
   LIVE Scores     LIVE-Chat     Skan Contest     Prediction Game      Drive2Final Game    Top-10 Game     History     World Clock 
 Latest topics  	                     The Main Forum           	       
 2018 ITF General talks (69) Ace2Ace  Federer On SERENA (0) Grossefavou  Gauff vs Lopatetskaya: yo...(19) RU90
 A confident Osaka (2) RU90  kavanaughty (3) Graveller  US Open Draw and Results (87) Graveller
 2018 year of Maria Shara...(207) PeterSkan  Carlos Ramos at McDonald'...(1) Grossefavou  US Open SKAN (53) PeterSkan
 NAOMI Now Richest (10) Grossefavou  Novak On SERENA (60) Pyotr  Drive2Final: Quebec and H...(1) Graveller
 Serena ON Maria (0) Mytiwtiw  Guangzhou and rain? (4) CrossCourtB  PGame US Open about to ge...(11) Graveller
more recent topics... 

tennisgamers.com Forum Index » WTA General Tennis Discussions » Montreal Main Draw Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Posted: Aug Thu 09, 2018 11:57 pm       
Pyotr
Junior

Joined28 Aug 2012
Posts238

Was impressed Venus finished that Cirstea match considering her knee. I knew
she'd have nothing left for Simona but good on her for at least trying.

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 2:20 am       
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12485
LocationAntwerp - Belgium

@ Mytiwtiw:

Venus got as far as Maria... do you insinuate that this is a bad result for Venus? 😀😀

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"
Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 7:51 am       Re:Montreal Main Draw
Perdida
Novice

Joined03 Jan 2018
Posts7

Seems like every time I bet against Maria she actually wins and every time I think she'll win she ends up losing 

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 10:23 am       Re:Montreal Main Draw
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12485

@ Perdida:

I know what you mean Smile

For the moment, we are tied on #1 in the PGame... but you go for Bertens, and I go for Barty...

I could play safe and pick the same like you, but I rather be a sole winner (or -more likely ) make you a sole winner Smile )
So I got Barty, you got Bertens. But not on purpose: I have more confidence in Barty...

But odds are in favour of you: in 2018, I am good in internationals, but not in main events (apart from Wimbledon, which is actually the crown jewel of all events).

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 10:45 am       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4988

Trying to recall seeing Vee withdraw from a match due to injury or illness.

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 10:49 am       Re:Montreal Main Draw
CrossCourtBH
Regular

Joined21 Aug 2015
Posts82

@grosse

perhaps? that match at AO (when she tore muscle) -
I can't remember is she withdrew from match.

Yesterday it looked as if she was in pain -
but persevere she did!

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:07 am       
Pyotr
Junior

Joined28 Aug 2012
Posts238

I want to say 2011 AO Petkovic match? Last time I can recall Venus retiring from a match.

I remember it most because of Oracene's face when some in the crowd were booing because
Venus had to retire and she was so obviously injured. I understand people paid to see a match
but if a player is injured nothing can be done.

Last edited by Pyotr on Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:10 am;
Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:36 am       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4988

Halep is right, even injured or ill, the WS can still pull out a win if you don't play great from start to finish.

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:36 am       
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12485

@ Grossefavourite:
 Final in Warsaw in 2003 vs Mauresmo
Venus lost the second set 6-0... retired in the third 3-0 down...

I guess if it was another player, you would have been the first to accuse the player of running away from a double bagel. But when it is Venus (or Serena) , you will come up with a "genuine" explanation, i.e. the type of explanation that you would reject when another player is involved.

You never accepted any explanation for Henin withdrawing vs Mauresmo in a final, so don't bother to come up with a justification for Venus running away in a final after losing 9 games in a row against the same player.... (unless you are willing to be less judgemental on Henin).

ps: I have kept this little fact in my pocket to throw at you for years until the right moment presented itself... and here it is Smile Smile
So, yes, I can be an extremely nasty and annoying person at times. At least I know myself, haha....

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:40 am       Re:Montreal Main Draw
Perdida
Novice

Joined03 Jan 2018
Posts7

@ Graveller:

Bertens was the first one that came to my mind. Tough to call this one. Both have had good resaults this year. We'll see what happens

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:52 am       
Grossefavourite
Accomplished

Joined27 Jul 2013
Posts4988

@ Graveller:

15 years ago? Apologies for not recalling a match that long ago in Warsaw? Is it still on the calendar? Anyway, given their record a double bagel after winning the first set, clearly is a sign of significant ailing on Venus' part.

Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:52 am;
Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 2:08 pm       
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12485

@ Grossefavourite:

Since when is 15 years ago an issue for you? Quite sure that in the G.O.A.T. debate you recall all "weak" opponents of the Graf/Navratilova/Evert/Court era...

Then again, I knew that you would not recall the Venus-withdrawal in 2003; if you had, you would not have been so biased with regard to Henin vs the very same opponent in a controversial final...

As for Venus in that match: Amelie finally figured out Venus after that first set (lost in a TB): Venus lost all of their next matches from that point onwards. The double bagel was looming. Hey, if Henin was supposed to continue to play (and lose 4 more games) in order to give Amelie a proper win, then the least that Venus could have done, was to lose 3 more games. Twelve points ain't gonna make the difference when you already played 22 games Wink

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 2:51 pm       Re:Montreal Main Draw
Perdida
Novice

Joined03 Jan 2018
Posts7

@ Graveller:

So, you were right. Barty won. I expected more from Bertens. Looks like this one is all yours

Posted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 3:42 pm       Re:Montreal Main Draw
Graveller
Commish

Joined17 Jun 2011
Posts12485

@ Perdida:

Still two QFs, two SFs and a F to go... those are 40 points... more than I have at the moment...

Page 3 of 3  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3    
PredictionGame
Current Tournaments:
Enter Your Scores Here

ATP Shenzhen
ATP Chengdu

WTA Tashkent
WTA Wuhan

Show Latest 120 Topics                      Show Latest 120 Topics

Google