Tournaments this week

Montreal Main Draw

All Tennis, All the Time
Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Aug Thu 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Was impressed Venus finished that Cirstea match considering her knee. I knew
she'd have nothing left for Simona but good on her for at least trying.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Fri 10, 2018 2:20 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Mytiwtiw</b>:</font>

Venus got as far as Maria... do you insinuate that this is a bad result for Venus? &#128512;&#128512;
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Perdida
Regular
Regular

Re:Montreal Main Draw

Post by Perdida » Aug Fri 10, 2018 7:51 am

Seems like every time I bet against Maria she actually wins and every time I think she'll win she ends up losing&nbsp;#ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Rolleyes/19.gif"#ed_cl#

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Fri 10, 2018 10:23 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Perdida#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#I know what you mean :-) #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#For the moment, we are tied on #1 in the PGame... but you go for Bertens, and I go for Barty...#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#I could play safe and pick the same like you, but I rather be a sole winner (or -more likely ) make you a sole winner :-) ) #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#So I got Barty, you got Bertens. But not on purpose: I have more confidence in Barty...#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#But odds are in favour of you: in 2018, I am good in internationals, but not in main events (apart from Wimbledon, which is actually the crown jewel of all events).#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 10, 2018 10:45 am

Trying to recall seeing Vee withdraw from a match due to injury or illness.

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Aug Fri 10, 2018 10:49 am

@grosse#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#perhaps? that match at AO (when she tore muscle) -#ed_op#br#ed_cl#I can't remember is she withdrew from match.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Yesterday it looked as if she was in pain - #ed_op#br#ed_cl#but persevere she did!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:07 am

#ed_op#div#ed_cl#
I want to say 2011 AO Petkovic match? Last time I can recall Venus retiring from a match. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#I remember it most because of Oracene's face when some in the crowd were booing because#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#Venus had to retire and she was so obviously injured. I understand people paid to see a match#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#but if a player is injured nothing can be done.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
Last edited by Pyotr on Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:36 am

Halep is right, even injured or ill, the WS can still pull out a win if you don't play great from start to finish.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:36 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#&nbsp;Final in Warsaw in 2003 vs Mauresmo#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#Venus lost the second set 6-0... retired in the third 3-0 down...#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#I guess if it was another player, you would have been the first to accuse the player of running away from a double bagel. But when it is Venus (or Serena) , you will come up with a "genuine" explanation, i.e. the type of explanation that you would reject when another player is involved.#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#You never accepted any explanation for Henin withdrawing vs Mauresmo in a final, so don't bother to come up with a justification for Venus running away in a final after losing 9 games in a row against the same player.... (unless you are willing to be less judgemental on Henin).#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#ps: I have kept this little fact in my pocket to throw at you for years until the right moment presented itself... and here it is :-) :-)#ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#So, yes, I can be an extremely nasty and annoying person at times. At least I know myself, haha....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Perdida
Regular
Regular

Post by Perdida » Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:40 am

@ Graveller:#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Bertens was the first one that came to my mind. Tough to call this one. Both have had good resaults this year. We'll see what happens #ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Happy/63.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#