Giorgi Post-Match?

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
PeterSkan
Senior
Senior
Giorgi Post-Match?

Post by PeterSkan » Jul Tue 10, 2018 11:16 am

I hope she gets grilled by the media for breaching protocol and fleeing the court after capitulating to Serena in the QF match. What the heck?

Unless she was going to throw up or something, but her perfunctory handshake and quick exit looked like poor sportsmanship.
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Tue 10, 2018 11:31 am

Pova did the same after her loss to Diatchenko.
People talked about it a bit.
Maybe that Wimbledon protocol is not that big a deal anymore.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Before the match, Giorgi had raised eyebrows when, asked about her impression of Williams over the years, she said: "I don't follow women's tennis."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Giorgi's serve was straight out of the Williams book of power. She delivered three aces to the American's one in the first set and won 84% of points on her first serve.

It is not often you see Williams scrambling to return a serve or nearly knocked off her feet by the force of a near 120mph delivery - it is more often her dishing that up - but she was given a taste of her own medicine by the fearless Giorgi.

The Italian's average serve speed in each set was higher than Williams', although the American recorded the fastest of the match at 122mph.

The 36-year-old came forward to attack more in the second set, not allowing Giorgi any break points and winning her own break in the fourth game, roaring "come on!" when winning key points.

She turned the screw with a backhand winner down the line to break in the third game of the final set and got more of her first serves in to take charge, sealing victory on her first match point when Giorgi sent a forehand into the net.

Williams only returned to competitive singles tennis in March following the birth of her daughter but has nevertheless been the player to beat here.

With the top 10 seeds making early exits, she has yet to face a player ranked in the top 50. Against Giorgi, she answered any lingering doubts about what might happen if she faced a stiff test - showing she still has the stamina, spirit and shots to carry on collecting Grand Slam titles.

"I feel good, I feel like I did better today, I had to," she told BBC Sport.

"This is only my fourth tournament back so I don't feel pressure, I don't feel I have to win this. I still have a long way to go to be where I was."

The American could become the fourth mum to win a major, after Belgium's Kim Clijsters and Australians Evonne Goolagong Cawley and Margaret Court.

Victory would draw her level with Court's record of 24 Grand Slam crowns.

She will go into the record books as the lowest ranked player - at 181st - to reach a women's semi-final at Wimbledon; yet having dominated the game for so long, she is carrying on where she left off before her maternity break.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:50 pm

It seems to me some of Errani's mother's cancer medication might've accidentally fallen into Giorgi's linguine last night, given her performance.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Please, stop it.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:53 pm

She deserves that and more. Her response prior to the match was pure diss and her behavior after was arrogant. .
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Re:Giorgi Post-Match?

Post by PeterSkan » Jul Tue 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Before the match, Giorgi had raised eyebrows when, asked about her impression of Williams over the years, she said: "I don't follow women's tennis."
And that is why you just called schooled.

Final Grade: F-
Last edited by PeterSkan on Jul Tue 10, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 10, 2018 2:38 pm

"Everything right now is a little bit of a surprise. To be here. To be in the semifinals. I mean, I always say I plan on it, I would like to be there, have these goals," Williams said. "But when it actually happens, it still is, like, 'Wow, this is really happening.'

"This is only my fourth tournament back, so I don't feel pressure. I don't feel I have to win this; I don't feel I have to lose this. I'm just here just to be here and to prove that I'm back. And I feel like I'm back. I still have a long way to go to be where I was."

Williams never was worried about losing.

"It's weird. Sometimes I feel, 'Man, I'm in trouble.' Sometimes I feel, 'I can fight.' For whatever reason, today I was so calm," said Williams, who has been wearing compression leggings as a precaution after a blood-clot scare following her daughter's birth. "Even when I was down the first set, I thought, 'Well, she's playing great. I'm doing a lot of the right things.'"

Williams lifted her intensity in the second set, avoiding any break points as she secured one break of her own.

Williams hit six of her seven aces in the final set, including one clocked at 122 mph, and won 44 of the last 54 points she served.

She now has a 39-35 record when losing the first set at a major.

"After the first set, I was like, 'All right, let's go three sets.' And that's kind of what I thought. ... `I'll just keep fighting," Williams said.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Tue 10, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Ummm, a little full of herself, it would appear:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... ter-finals