Tournaments this week

Rome - Monday OOP

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish
Rome - Monday OOP

Post by rex » May Sun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#Vika and Naomi is on Centrale following Nishikori v Lopez, approximately 6-6:30 a.m. start here in the Midwest........#ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Sad/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Wanted to see Petra M. v Tsurenko, but that begins at 4 a.m. here in the Midwest. Safe to say I'll won't be seeing that match....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Following Naomi and Vika is Novak v the Dog. Will catch that match....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Pavly' v Madison is okay...some other good men's matches on the docket:#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Kohl's v Khachanov#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Monfils v Fognini#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Other matches:#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#a href="http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scores/c ... p#br#ed_cl#

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:Rome - Monday OOP

Post by rex » May Mon 14, 2018 8:52 am

Unexpected dismissal by Naomi today. A bagel in the lst, recovered down 0-2 to win in the 2nd, 6-3. Nice win.

Vika needs to play Strasbourg to get more match play ere the French. Expecting better things for her in Paris, draw-permitting. Good to have her back in the mix.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 14, 2018 8:56 am

Naomi's newfound mental fitness could take her straight to the FO title.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Mon 14, 2018 9:00 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Doubt that, but it would be nice if she was to prevail. Back-to-back French titles for members of the o/s class of '97.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Mon 14, 2018 9:02 am

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#Carla was blitzed by Vekic 6-1, 6-2. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Madison disposed of Pavly' in 2. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Up next for viewing for me is Novak v the Dog. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Swan song for Roberta Vinci, losing to Krunic in 3? From reports lots of hugs between the players and the Chair (Alves) after the match. If today is her last match, she's had a nice career and wishing all the best in retiremen#ed_op#/i#ed_cl#t. #ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Happy/91.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 14, 2018 9:02 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

Why do you doubt that? The women don't really specialize. Pova has two FO titles.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Mon 14, 2018 9:17 am

<font color="brown">@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

<i>Doubt based on her game limitations and her mental/emotional state, the latter being the blow up at Charleston has given me pause. Despite the fact that she won a slam-equivalent title in IW, coupled with the fact that the top-10 is not formidable, including Petra K's recent surge and who could belly up in the lst round in Paris, Naomi's game is still one-dimensional and when her baseline game is not working and her serve is not as damaging and dictating as Serena's to give her bushel baskets full of free points, there is nothing else in her game to see her through when a match gets tight. So, my doubt is based on her current game limitations, a questionable mental/emotional state at the moment and avoiding Svitolina who has her figured out.  </i>
Last edited by rex on May Mon 14, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Mon 14, 2018 9:58 am

Wow.....just noticed this.......Venus and Madison Keys are playing doubles together in Rome. A lst for me at least, for when has Venus played doubles with anyone other than Serena in her career, not including Fed Cup?

Will take a gander when they play......

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 14, 2018 10:00 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

Interesting. Will def be tuning in. Oly preparations?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Mon 14, 2018 10:34 am

I came to work late. I was watching the Osaka vs Vika match and didn't want to turn it off... :)
Osaka seems to be on a mission... She was lethal in that first set.

But we've seen her beat Serena in Miami in similar fashion, then collapse against Svitolina in the next match.
Halep was watching. She is next. Going to be very interesting.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on May Mon 14, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.