All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
ROME: Serena OUT

Post by Grossefavourite » May Wed 09, 2018 8:21 am

Serena Williams withdraws from Italian Open, says she's not yet 100 percent
8:37 AM ET

ROME -- Serena Williams has withdrawn from next week's Italian Open, saying she needs more time to be "100 percent ready to compete."

The tournament made the announcement via Twitter.

Williams, a four-time Italian Open champion, has not played since her first-round loss to Naomi Osaka in March at the Miami Open.

Fellow American Catherine Bellis takes Williams' place in the Rome draw.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 09, 2018 9:09 am

At this pace, she might also withdraw from the French Open.
Oh well.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » May Wed 09, 2018 9:19 am

I suspected as much. I call Wimbledon, may a grass tune-up prior.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Wed 09, 2018 9:31 am

Playing clay builds up strength and stamina, win or lose.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » May Wed 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Coming back on the surface that is most demanding on the body is not always the wise thing to do.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:ROME: Serena OUT

Post by rex » May Thu 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Serena has entered the new San Jose tourney, beginning on July 30th.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/serena-jo ... s-san-jose

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Thu 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Any new pictures? How is the lady doing in France at the Moratoglou Academy?

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Thu 10, 2018 6:50 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Ace2Ace#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Haven't seen anything, but I just follow Serena on twitter and don't get into Instagram and Snapchat. Nevertheless, it appears this year is going to be a wash for Serena, given that it's taking her longer than expected from her standpoint to lose the baby weight, get back into shape and get her game up to snuff, in addition to a comment from Serena who has said that she gives herself to the end of 2019 to see where she stands in her game. The '19 AO and a warmup event prior to such will be a better gauge as to where Serena's game is and what shape she's in, in addition to the year being her 38th year of birth. Nevertheless, I, for one, don't have any expectations for Serena given that she's past her prime as an athlete. Whatever she does from this point forward is gravy, whether she wins or loses. Same holds for Venus...... Lastly, I believe the Olympic year (2020) will be the end of their careers, enjoyed same, but disappointed with Venus, for she should have been the "best".  #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Thu 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Azarenka had no problem shedding all her "baby weight". But Serena has her mom's body and will not have easy time trimming down to her "tennis size". #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Whenever she shows up, it will be a treat. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Hope she is doing all the right things as much as possible for a final tour. Would love to see her lift another slam before she says goodbye.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on May Thu 10, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Thu 10, 2018 9:19 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Vika is still in her prime and getting back into shape, tho' still too skinny for me, isn't a problem. When an athlete is past their prime it's more difficult to get back into shape, get their game back and the effectiveness of such, especially pushing 40. Nevertheless, I, too, would like to see Serena eclipse Margaret. If not, it's been a great career and era......