PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Difference between Venus and Serena

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sun 18, 2018 11:10 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The two-week duration of pressure, prestige, spotlight, financial opportunity and ranking points at GS make it more difficult to pull off despite the quality of the opponent.
#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#There isn't any "intense" pressure for a 2 week event with "6" days off and playing players like Fett and Bertens over a 4 day period in the case of Caroline's draw. Of course, the emphasis by the tennis organizations, the media interest and the significant prize money at the Slams makes such events "the" events for the tennis year. I understand. However, the competition is what should make the Slams significant, but they are not if the champion has not faced minimally 3 top-10 players and at least one in the top-20 (I prefer 2) on the road to that title. With the current top-10 being marginal at best and clearly not formidable, the achievement for winning a Slam nowadays doesn't say much, especially with Serena, Vika and Petra K. not in the mix. Yet, it's still 3 mil. and 2k ranking points for Caroline, nevertheless.#ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Mar Sun 18, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sun 18, 2018 11:24 am

Players don't start playing tennis dreaming/fantasizing about winning IW, Miami, etc, but about winning the GS, particularly W.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sun 18, 2018 11:34 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Of course players dream of accomplishments at the Slams due to the institutions of tennis stressing the importance of such, coupled with the significant prize money one would earn by just participating, let alone winning such, the increased number of ranking points available that keeps one out of qualies and participating at the Slams and premiers and the so-called "prestige" of winning them. I get that. However, in substance, the competition is weaker at the Slams and no way as intense as the premier events, as noted above, by the draws players face at those events and the YEC. #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Mar Sun 18, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Mar Sun 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Maria losses to the eventual champion,Venus losses to Daria the runner up and Serena? Lol

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sun 18, 2018 2:33 pm

This will be rather painful for Vee to see how easily Naomi dispatched Daria.