IW WTA Main Draw

All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re:IW WTA Main Draw

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Tue 13, 2018 12:47 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>
(Venus, Naomi, Petra M. and the talented 18 year old Marketa V.)  
Right.. proud to have brought attention to Vondrousova here last year. :) :) Kuzmova didn't make it... But she is on her way.

Proud to make another call for 24-year old Zanevska.. Hopefully she'll join the top-100 soon. Wonder what is taken her so long. She is a fine skilled power player.

There is also 21-year old Deborah Chiesa.. ranked #178 in the LIVE ranking. I like her game. Not sure she can make the top-100 this year.. But she should get there next year. She plays a very smart, all-court tennis. Doesn't have lots of power but can take over the points and finish beautifully. Nice to watch.
Love to watch some of the ITF girls... :) :) Too bad some won't make it to the WTA due to all kinds of extra, non-tennis related reasons.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Halep won.. No surprise here.
Martic in the QF.. Rex gonna be happy about this.. Told him this girl got game, last time I watched her play (against my young ITF fav I think).
Nice getting up in the ranking.

Martic vs Halep will be a very interesting match-up.
Have they played in the last 2 years? (I don't take into account H2H older than 2 years.. too much time has passed.).
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Wow, Pliskova is merciless against the 16-yo. Glad I am not watching.
5-0 in 5 minutes? :)

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:17 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Watched Petra's match with Marketa.....flat atmosphere. Lost in 2, the 2nd set a breaker. At 3-all in such, Marketa was called for a "foot fault". She laughed it off, but it broke her concentration and she lost the set and match. I don't know how a linesperson can make such a call in that situation for it totally shocked me as well as her. Yet, Serena had that called against her at the USO against Stosur for the title, then went off. What can one say....

Yes, Petra M. prevailed making a nice run at IW. However, it ends against Simona in the next round. Btw, Petra's coach is "nice"......

Lastly, thank you for making me aware of the 19 year old Kuzmova. You kept touting her and I had to look her up on YouTube. Then, watched her play Sabine and Petra M. at Budapest where she reached the semis ere losing to VanU. She's currently playing some ITF event in Shenzhen at the moment. However, it's only a matter of time ere she's in the top-100 and staying there (currently ranked 109th).

However, I've seen Zanevska (played Martic on the ITF circuit a year ago(?). Will be 25 this year and has never seen the top-100, just like the 25 year old Kristie Ahn, who you raved about 'til I looked up her resume and who also hasn't seen the top-100. If a player is not in the top-100 by age 25, it's fair to say that their career is merely journeywoman.
Last edited by rex on Mar Wed 14, 2018 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Tue 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Kristie is now playing push ball. Didn't see that coming.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#I don't see Zanevska pushing.. She is all about stepping in and taking charge. She could fall back to #400 and I will still love her game. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Don't know what is going on but that is not ITF tennis she is playing. Could do well in the top-100. We'll see by the end of this year. Maybe this is her time. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Some girls wish they could just play the big events in front of big crowd. They don't do well in small villages... lol lol lol.. But they have to be willing to go through the process. It's the coaches/parents job to work on that. Got to motivate them to get out of the ITF jungle.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Tue 13, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Tue 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Halep S.[1] vs Martic P.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Osaka N. vs Pliskova Ka.[5]#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#--------- Bottom Half ---------#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Williams V.[8] vs Suarez Navarro C.[27]#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Kerber A.[10] vs Kasatkina D.[20]
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Wed 14, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Wed 14, 2018 11:33 am

If forced to pick a winner. (Not 50/50 prediction)

Halep S.[1] vs Martic
Halep holding on the #1 ranking, moving away from #2 Wozniacki. Another win here should consolidate her position.
But Martic is very capable of causing an upset. When she is on, she can take over. She is no waitress/pusher. Will Halep be ready for a tough battle...?? I think so. Her coach is doing a great job here during OCC, keeping her in the tournament. Without him, I am not sure she would have overcome Big Baller Dolehide.
Prediction: Halep

Osaka N. vs Pliskova Ka.
Normally, I would say Pliskova without hesitation. But Sasha Bajin seems to be doing another magic here. Osaka has not done a Madison Keys in this tournament so far. She is taking her time and striking at the slightest opportunity. Loving it.
Could stun the top player. But I am going with....
Prediction: Pliskova

Williams V.[8] vs Suarez Navarro
Venus looks strong so far. If her energy level stays high, she should pull through. Not going to be an easy match even with plenty of energy. Navarro loves these courts and will put up a fight. But Venus' big serves, if on, should make the difference.
Prediction: Venus

Kerber A.[10] vs Kasatkina D.[20]
Not sure how to call this one. An encounter between 2 pushers/grinders/counterpunchers/etc..
Points will be very long and most of the times boring for fans of Big Babe Tennis. But fans that love the long rallies, the cat-n-mouse game, trying to move the other player off the court, testing the stamina of the opponent... will enjoy this.
Hard to pick a winner.
Prediction: Kerber.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Wed 14, 2018 11:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Wed 14, 2018 11:43 am

When in doubt, pick the higher seed: that seems to be what I have done here without realizing it. :)
Gonna be fun to watch.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Wed 14, 2018 7:16 pm

1 down; 3 more predictions to go.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Martic could have prevailed but she showed the reason she is not a top-player.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Why go hide 10 miles behind the baseline and push, when you got all the power shots in the word. Didn't you realize that despite the wind, every time you stepped inside the court and went for the attack, darling Halep couldn't stop you?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#So why not stay on offense? Why only try it when you are trailing? Why stand 8 miles behind the baseline to receive serve? Are you playing Raonic or Isner? #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Those are the things that separate you from the top players. Got to be consistently aggressive. You have the tools to do it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Halep was not going to give you the match. Staying back and slicing or pushing for long stretches wouldn't cut it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Opportunity missed.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#(Hire me as coach and I'll send you straight to the top-10 :) )
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Wed 14, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Wed 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Mercy.....weather temps for Naomi's match with Karolina is low 50's, feels like upper 40's from the World Clock report. Matter-of-fact for the rest of the week the forecast is for low 60's and that's at high noon.
Last edited by rex on Mar Wed 14, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.