All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
The Next 'MARIA'

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Wed 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Meet the 16-year-old shocking the tennis world

The 16-year-old, not used to the lights and sounds of WTA-level tennis, continued her surging performance at Indian Wells, this time with an emphatic upset of No. 9 Petra Kvitova 6-2, 6-4 in the third round at the BNP Paribas Open.

“This is the biggest stage I’ve ever played on against the strongest person I’ve ever played in a tournament. It’s just crazy,” Anisimova told Tennis.com.

The Colts Neck, NJ, native and US Open juniors champion, whose parents are Russian, said she was a little startled to see herself on the big screens inside Stadium 1, which seems expected since Anisimova was ranked No. 149 in the world entering the tournament, a ranking that will be long gone when and if her run in California dries up.

“Playing US Open juniors, when I won that, that gave me a lot of confidence going in here, but I realize that it’s completely different in the WTA,” said Anisimova, who is coached by her father, Konstantin. “And I have just been adjusting and it’s been really different.”

Her Jersey-based agent, Max Eisenbud, who played at Purdue, is Maria Sharapova’s agent and has joined forces with Anisimova. She’s the youngest player in the draw at Indian Wells, one of the top tournaments outside of the Grand Slam events, and youngest to advance to the fourth round since 2005.

Anisimova, dubbed “The Next Sharapova” by some, won her first-ever WTA Tour-level match against France’s Pauline Parmentier in the first round then backed that up with a statement win against No. 23 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova. She then ended Kvitova’s two-title, 14-match win streak.

“She’s an amazing player. I’m pretty sure she was on a 14-match streak, so she was playing really well,” Anisimova said of Kvitova. “I was just trying to stay focused but at the same time I was thinking, Oh my God.”

She earned a wild card for Indian Wells through her performance in the Oracle Challenger Series, which grants qualifiers to the two men and women who accumulate the most points.

“I’m really aggressive, and I like to take the ball away,” Anisimova, born in Freehold Township, said about her style. “I feel like opponents have a tough time managing my power sometimes.”

Anisimova made her Grand Slam main draw debut at the French Open last year, where she lost in three sets to Kurumi Nara. She backed that feat with her silverware at the 2017 US Open, winning her first junior Grand Slam title against Cori Gauff.

At the time, she said she hoped to compete in Grand Slam main draws in 2018. First, she tested herself against Karolina Pliskova, the world’s former No. 1, on Tuesday, dropping a tiebreaker in the second set and bringing her dream run to an end in a 1-6, 6-7 loss.

“I have no pressure going onto the court, and all I can think about is having fun, whatever happens,” Anisimova said.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Wed 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Not so fast. The girl is good but we've seen 16-year old Vekic and Konjuh do the same.
Animosiva could be the next Ova with a candy store.. But we'll have to wait and see what she does in the next 2 years, before getting her the Siberian belt. Unlike the other one, she doesn't even know anything about Russia. She didn't get here at the age of 7. Hopefully, that's a good sign she knows no Meldonium doctor :) :) :) or has no Latvian connection.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Wed 14, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Wed 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Well, the next 'whatever' in women's sport usually has to become champ as a teen, so pressure is on them to succeed. The largely men who cover sports and make players famous prefer teenage girls to cover.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Mar Wed 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Nope ! There’s only one Maria “most beautiful” Sharapova.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Wed 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Middle aged men covering tennis will find the right angles and photos to make her a star if they so choose, i.e. if they want to sleep with her. There are 'Weinsteins' in every profession.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Mar Wed 14, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Wed 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Nothing wrong about men liking teenage girls, until your own daughter becomes a teen.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Wed 14, 2018 2:00 pm

All those photos of Maria in her undies as a teen were taken by such men and for that purpose and reason.