PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

ATP/WTA Dubai Draw and Results

All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Feb Sun 25, 2018 3:28 pm

She won't have to play Qualifiers at the next Slam... She'll be solidly a top-100 player by the deadline.#ed_op#br#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fg75ZdDkBzY?rel=0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="854" height="480" frameborder="0"#ed_cl##ed_op#/iframe#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#23 aces vs Kenin? Ridiculous. (these 2 youngsters are about to take their rightful place in the top-100)#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IID-13lOM9A?rel=0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="854" height="480" frameborder="0"#ed_cl##ed_op#/iframe#ed_cl##ed_op#/br#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Feb Sun 25, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Mon 26, 2018 9:19 am

ATP Dubai: just watched Haase vs Halys. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#In the thread on young ATP players, I mentioned yesterday that I once started to follow Halys as a teenager, but he went off my radar. A few hour later I saw that he qualified for the Dubai MD. So decided to watch this match.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Haase won 7-5 2-6 6-4, but it could have gone the other way as Halys was leading 0-2 in the third and came back to 4-4 after being 4-2 down. And he had opportunities in virtually every game, but Haase played really well too. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Halys is tall, and his forehand and serve are top30. Really good forehand that generates more than decent pace. Also able to switch from defense to offense without making too many errors (even if he redirects the ball at the same time). Quite swift-handed at the net too. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Big minus-point seemed to be his BH: I remember a decent number of UE's with the BH, and his BH strikes are less penetrating. I noticed at least three times that Haase played to his BH and came to the net. I was expecting a powerful passing shot everytime (CC or DTL), but neither power or placement were there, so Haase could finish the point at the net.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#So I started to pay more attention on his BH - a two-handed backhand by the way - and altough I am not a tennis coach, I fear that this part of his game needs retooling if he wants to get anywhere. Imo, a top player attacking his backhand would crush him 6-1 6-0. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#I love a perfectly executed one-handed BH (what do you expect from a Henin-groupie :-) ), so seeing this two-handed shot started to annoy me. Frustrating to see that a player with a powerful serve (he has his length - 6'3") and crushing FH delivers a BH like that. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Currently ranked around #100, turned 21 a few moths ago. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Junior slam career: 3 doubles finals, incl 1 title, and 1 singles slam final: he has talent (I like his point construction too), but at this point in time I fear that it's not gonna happen anytime soon: I feel like it would be watching a decent F1 car with one flat tyre...
Last edited by Graveller on Feb Mon 26, 2018 9:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Tue 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Both Pouille and Khachanov won their R1 so they meet again in R2; a repeat of last sunday’s final...

Take revenge, Pouille!!
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Wed 28, 2018 8:34 am

revengeeee!!!!

Pouile beats Khachanov. Again a close 3-setter, but in the end it was Pouille who took the match :-)

These two are gonna meet each other a lot in their career. I still see Pouille as future top 5, and so is Khachanov.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Wed 28, 2018 10:09 am

A week like this is ideal for me to focus on ATP... bee nkeeping an ey on the Tsitsipas vs Kohlschreiber match...#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#The youngster close to a victory: 5-3 in the third....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#An I want Kohlschreiber to lose: he just destroyed a racquet to pieces because he missed a shot (by miles, I must say); such a bad example for young players. He just got a warning, but as far as I am concerned, they can punish that behaviour with a game point. Some parents whose kids play tennis are not that wealthy, and you do not want kids starting to copy this (because they see it on tv).#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Edit: mission accomplished for Stefanos: he is into the QF!#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#On a day like this - when seeing Pouille, Tsitsipas and Khachavov playing the way they did - I know that ATP will remain interesting for me in a post-Federer era :-)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Graveller on Feb Wed 28, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Mar Thu 01, 2018 3:50 am

QF today for the ATP in Dubai...

Looked at the live-ranking, and to my surprise, Pouille will enter the top10 if he wins this event.

And being the highest seed left (and his current form), that is not unlikely to happen.
And even if he fails in Dubai: he only won 1 match in IW/Miami combined in 2017: a lot of points to be gained in March for him.