PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

CONGRATS To WOZ: GS Champ, World New No. 1, Queen Of Tennis

All Tennis, All the Time
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 27, 2018 9:39 am

Williams was the defending champion at the Australian Open after winning last year, but decided not to play as she continues her recovery after a difficult childbirth in September.

She was on Twitter immediately after Wozniacki finished off her win over Simona Halep to congratulate her for her first Grand Slam title.

Williams said, "I got too nervous to watch but woke up to @CaroWozniacki new number one and Aussie Open champ. So awesome. So happy. Are those tears? Yup they are. From a year ago to today I'm so proud my friend so proud. Literally can't even sleep now."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 27, 2018 9:44 am

.@CaroWozniacki "I'm never going to get the question again about being a world No.1 without a Slam."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 27, 2018 10:03 am

Lol. Serena's coach was in the first row taking notes.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Sat 27, 2018 10:27 am

Was dead asleep. So this morning I didn't want to know the result until I watch the Replay LIVE on ESPN360.
Congratulation Miss Wozz for your first slam. Halep had no energy to finish you off at 4-3 in the 3rd.

That was a pathetic ending for her. From 4-3, she decided to stay 100 miles behind the baseline and push. Only Sloane can win a slam doing that, thanks to Keys gifting free points. Wozz doesn't spray. So by deciding not get inside the court and fight, it was a matter of time.

Again, Congrat Caro. You took advantage of Azarenka and Serena not being around. That's the way!!!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 27, 2018 10:56 am

Caro was almost always ahead or even throughout the match.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Sat 27, 2018 12:38 pm

So Caro got a slam while Serena was having a baby...

Guess what: Serena won a lot of slams when Clijsters was having babies too..

People really need to stop to talk down the wins of players that they don’t like.
Last edited by Graveller on Jan Sat 27, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 27, 2018 12:45 pm

There will be no post-GS run of losses as she see with Sloanie. Caro should juts celebrate, take advantage of endorsement opportunities and return fresh and ready to continue winning.

As for Simona, her new aggressive style is paying dividends, so she should def continue down that path, though of course, the girls will soon adjust to it. She was clearly the more nervous of the two in the final, and trying to push thru with a new gameplan is tough.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 27, 2018 3:58 pm

‘Hopefully I’ll be back’

Collecting her runner up trophy and a $2m cheque, a gracious and composed Simona Halep thanked her opponent for a great match and a great tournament.

“It’s not easy to talk now but I want to congratulate Caroline, she played amazing.

“Of course I’m sad I couldn’t win today but Caroline was better than me. I have many years to go and hopefully I will face a challenge like this again.

“All over the world I have great support ... and hopefully I will see you next year in the same position.

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jan Sat 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Simona Halep's comments in her post-match Press Conference were among the most gracious and heartfelt I've ever heard. Certainly won me over.

Don't get me wrong. I was pushing for Caro to win and am happy for her. You can only compete against the players that show up, so she deserves it fair and square.

Lots of slam wins can have subjective asterisks, and this one has to do with Serena's absence. Those don't appear in the record books, however, so at the end of the day what gets remembered is Caro grabbing the trophy.

Monkey of her back, that's for sure.
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:CONGRATS To WOZ: GS Champ, World New No. 1, Queen Of Tenn

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Jan Sat 27, 2018 6:43 pm

I think Simona played the final with the last of her reserves, which weren't enough. As far as the game, I thought Caroline did a much better job being aggressive, dictating, and winning battles for court position. She also exposed the difficulty Simona faces when she has to create her own pace. Lastly, i thought Caroline won the mental battle early on and held it through the match. Halep needs find more confidence in herself, she has to play like she is number one, the best player in the world, and the one who will win the match. Overall, great match and congrats to Caroline. This was probably the missing piece of her legacy.