PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Day 1 AO

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Sun 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Just woke up to see two of my ‘97ers reaching R2: Bencic and Ostapenko 😀😀.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:Day 1 AO

Post by rex » Jan Sun 14, 2018 11:56 pm

Nice recovery by David Ferrer from 2-5 in the 4th set to win in the breaker and send the match into the 5th against Rublev. David's one of greatest competitors the men's game has seen........relentless. Not going to see the finish, tho'...heading off to dreamland.

93tennisroyalty
Senior
Senior

Re:Day 1 AO

Post by 93tennisroyalty » Jan Mon 15, 2018 1:41 am

Bad luck for Americans on day one. All but one (Ryan Harrison) have lost:
Venus, Coco, Sloane, Cici, Alison Riske, Jen Brady, John Isner, Taylor Townsend, and Kenin.

Jack Sock is on his way out, King likely to lose to Tsonga, and Falconi likely to lose to Gavrilova.

McDonald and Gibbs TBD

On the bright side, the US might have the greatest number of women in the draw at 18
Last edited by 93tennisroyalty on Jan Mon 15, 2018 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Mon 15, 2018 2:48 am

Watched a 10 min highlight from Bencic vs Venus...

Mixed feelings after seeing that...
Positive note: end to the myth that Bencic has no power: she went toe-to-toe with Venus is that department.
Negative note: Where is the variation? The game that kept me interested? Not a single dropshot, not a single slice... At tennisforum, someone started a thread that Bencic was the new Azarenka, and before seeing the highlight I though that this person had lost the plot. But he was right: there was quite a bit of Azarenka-play in this match. Hard strokes fro mthe baseline, redirecting the points all the time, etc... imo, both Venus and Bencic played the same way.

So I hope that Bencic played like this because that was the best strategy to beat Venus for her. But if all her matches are like this, I am not sure if she will remain my #1 favorite... she might drop back to position 4-5....
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"